I have a qmail patched with http://qmail.jms1.net combined patch wich contains qmail-remote smtp auth patch.

I'm trying to send some mail via smtproutes to a server with smtp auth with syntax:

domain.com:smtp.server.com user password

I have no success in sending .

Can someone please suggest me how can I debug this problem ?
I can only debug on my side and not on remote smtp side.

Thank you
P.
Re: Debug qmail-remote smtp auth [ In reply to ]
Re: Debug qmail-remote smtp auth [ In reply to ]
To follow up on Kristen's suggestions:
From John's website:
I've also added a security check to prevent qmail-remote from sending
authentication credentials across the internet in plain text. By default
(with my version of this patch) qmail-remote will only send the AUTH
command if the STARTTLS command has already been sent in the same session.
If the connection between your server and the remote server is known to be
secure (i.e. through an encrypted VPN, or within a closed network) or if
you care so little for security that you don't mind sending your userid and
password across the internet in what amounts to plain text, you can bypass
this security check by adding a "-" to the beginning of the userid in your
smtproutes file (the "-" will be removed if present.)

Re: Debug qmail-remote smtp auth [ In reply to ]
Hi,

you can find some hints on my SMTP tutorial web site:

http://www.fehcom.de/qmail/smtpauth.html

(in addition with some tools).

Or course, feel free to use my implementation.

regards.
-eh.

--
Dr. Erwin Hoffmann | FEHCom | http://www.fehcom.de | PGP Key-Id: 7E4034BE
Re: Debug qmail-remote smtp auth [ In reply to ]
Thank you Kristen,

when I go to : http://www.jms1.net/lists/?list=qmail-patch

I get a python error.

Ciao
P.

Re: Debug qmail-remote smtp auth [ In reply to ]
Thank you.

I solved it.

It was missing the clientcert.pem .

I thought it was needed only for local qmail-smtp ... but it is needed even for qmail-remote SMTP AUTH .

Bye.
P.

Re: Debug qmail-remote smtp auth [ In reply to ]
HI Paspao,

Am 31.10.2012 um 15:14 schrieb Paspao:

> Thank you.
>
> I solved it.
>
> It was missing the clientcert.pem .
>
> I thought it was needed only for local qmail-smtp ... but it is needed even for qmail-remote SMTP AUTH .

No. Unless your SMTP server REQUIRES TLS from your client.

It is possible to use a Client Cert for Auth purpose -- but this is simply not SMTP Auth.

regards.
--eh.