Mailing List Archive

qmail preprocessing slower with current Linux kernels ?
hi all

I have a Linux system I can boot with kernel 2.6.36.3 or 3.2.5 (the same
filesystem is mounted). The .config file from 2.6.36.3 was used for compiling
3.2.5.

The filesystem is a md raid1 with reiserfs. I can write sequentially with
32-33MB/s from both kernels to it.

The system runs netqmail-1.05 and just had ca. 8000 mails in the queue that
were "not yet preprocessed". I tried both kernels several times on this queue
for some time and found out that preprocessing is more than 3 times faster
on 2.6.36.3 (>30 mails/s) as with the default 3.2.5 kernel (ca. 10 mails/s).
Resource utilization as seen with top was not critical with both kernels but
the Blk_wrtn/s value from iostat was ca. 3 time higher with 2.6.36.3.

I run the same 3.2.5 kernel on 17 other systems and did not notice a
performance slowdown with other applications.

Is there a possibility that this slowdown is qmail related ? Does anyone have
a clue ?

Regards,

Michael Brunnbauer

--
++ Michael Brunnbauer
++ netEstate GmbH
Re: qmail preprocessing slower with current Linux kernels ? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 14:58:10 +0200
Michael Brunnbauer wrote:

> Is there a possibility that this slowdown is qmail related ? Does anyone have
> a clue ?

There was a kernel bug causing a filesystem caching slow down. I don't
remember which 3.x it applied to.

I'd try building the 3.2.14 and see if that fixes it.
Re: qmail preprocessing slower with current Linux kernels ? [ In reply to ]
Hello Kevin,

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 09:26:09PM +0100, Kevin Chadwick wrote:
> There was a kernel bug causing a filesystem caching slow down. I don't
> remember which 3.x it applied to.
>
> I'd try building the 3.2.14 and see if that fixes it.

Thanks for the tip. I tried but 3.2.14 does not make things faster.

Regards,

Michael Brunnbauer

--
++ Michael Brunnbauer