Mailing List Archive

Diskless mail servers.
Re: Diskless mail servers. [ In reply to ]
> On Wed, 19 Mar 1997, Paul Fox wrote:
>
> > hi -- in the THOUGHTS document, dan says the following in a paragraph
> > regarding the dangers of mounting the queue directory via NFS.
>
> I don't know enough about the dangers of NFS but is there an easy way for
> me to test if my NFS server/client combination can run qmail queue safely?
> We are currently about to invest in some NFS servers with RAID disks to
> easy the administration and increase the availability of our servers. We
> are even thinking about having diskless mailservers so it would nice if
> there were an easy way to see if it is possible with the different NFS
> servers we are considering.

You're considering Auspex, I assume...

Much as I like the Auspex product, I equally dislike completely dickless
workstations. You really should have your root/var/swap... on the local
system for a variety of reasons.

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues O- cwg@DeepEddy.Com
Deep Eddy Internet Consulting +1 512 432 4046
Re: Diskless mail servers. [ In reply to ]
> > I don't know enough about the dangers of NFS but is there an easy way for
> > me to test if my NFS server/client combination can run qmail queue safely?
>
> You're considering Auspex, I assume...
>
> Much as I like the Auspex product, I equally dislike completely dickless
> workstations. You really should have your root/var/swap... on the local
> system for a variety of reasons.

i hope this branch of NFS bashing doesn't dissuade anyone from answering
my original query regarding a simple sendmail replacement for client
machines. :-)

paul
(i'm no great fan of diskless computing, but i must say it makes for a
wonderfully quiet living room machine to have a silent temperature
controlled fan (it has a SmartPower power supply), no disk, and boot linux
via a netboot floppy. armchair surfing at its best... ;-)

---------------------
paul fox, pgf@foxharp.boston.ma.us (arlington, ma)
Re: Diskless mail servers. [ In reply to ]
Paul Fox <pgf@foxharp.boston.ma.us>
> i hope this branch of NFS bashing doesn't dissuade anyone from answering
> my original query regarding a simple sendmail replacement for client
> machines. :-)

I wrote a small /usr/*/sendmail replacement a few years ago. It has
some problems with parsing weird destination address headers (when
using -t), otherwise it's fine. If anyone wants to take it on, write
me.

Its modus operandi is basically:

- read in the message on stdin
- figure out my fqdn
- try to punt the message to an MX for myself
- sleep a bit if that's impossible, then try again

--Arnt