Mailing List Archive

PIGgies?
I'm a recent convert to Python and would love to see its credibility
heightened and its use in the mainstream increased. Python seems to have
what it takes to become *the* general purpose programming language. It's
certainly more suited for the job than some of the other current favorites.

Lately I've been considering forming a high profile user group in San
Francisco to help promote Python as a serious tool for mainstream use. Much
to my chagrin I discovered that there's already a (recent) group called
"BayPIGgies". I later noticed that the term "PIGgies" is used elsewhere for
Python user groups. Am I the only Python enthusiast that has a problem with
the term "PIGgies"?

I certainly don't want to offend those who have chosen the term. Rather, I
strongly believe that the Python community must remain united and close-knit
if the language is to gain wide-spread acceptance in the industry. I think
that acceptance would be found more readily with advocacy groups bearing
slightly more serious names. Of course, the "IG" in "PIGgies" stands for
Interest Group, so these groups are not necessarily meant to be public
advocates. Even still, I think the term can still be a turn-off for those
thinking about getting involved with the language and the Python community.

These are my opinions, of course, and I graciously solicit the opinions of
others. What do you think of the term "PIGgies"? Do you feel that there is
a need (and room) for separate interest and advocacy groups? Do either the
Python Software Activity or the Python Consortium already fill the advocacy
role?

John Landahl
jpl@digex.net
PIGgies? [ In reply to ]
> Am I the only Python enthusiast that has a problem
> with the term "PIGgies"?

The age of high brow Seriousness is over. We find
cow sculptures invading Chicago -- even on the ledge
of the opera house.

Computer languages used to have meaningful, formidable
names in UPPERCASE: FORTRAN, ALGOL, PL/I. Now we
have Python -- named after practitioners of the most
irreverent form of satire since Lenny Bruce.

The age of low brow Whimsicality is upon us. I see
signs and portends in the distance.

PIGgies take their sense of humor seriously. Don't mess
with them unless you want a pie in your face. ;-)

-Jeff Bauer

P.S. Vote "Silly Party"!
PIGgies? [ In reply to ]
John Landahl wrote:

> I later noticed that the term "PIGgies" is used elsewhere for
> Python user groups. Am I the only Python enthusiast that has a problem with
> the term "PIGgies"?

It's the first time I've seen this term, and I've been
following this group for quite a while.

Maybe it would help if you spelled it Pyggies :-?

Greg
PIGgies? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 18 Aug 1999 17:15:23 -0700, John Landahl <jpl@digex.net.nospamplease>
wrote:
>These are my opinions, of course, and I graciously solicit the opinions of
>others. What do you think of the term "PIGgies"? Do you feel that there is

Little piglets are cute animals. Besides, you obviously haven't seen an angry
boar charging at you at 100 miles per hour.
PIGgies? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Kaz Kylheku wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Aug 1999 17:15:23 -0700, John Landahl <jpl@digex.net.nospamplease>
> wrote:
> >These are my opinions, of course, and I graciously solicit the opinions of
> >others. What do you think of the term "PIGgies"? Do you feel that there is
>
> Little piglets are cute animals. Besides, you obviously haven't seen an angry
> boar charging at you at 100 miles per hour.

<philosophy>
If a boar and a penguing would charge at each other,
would anyone hear?
</philosophy>

well-now-we-have-a-real-python-mascot-ly y'rs, Z.
PIGgies? [ In reply to ]
Moshe Zadka <moshez@server.python.net> writes:

> On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Kaz Kylheku wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 18 Aug 1999 17:15:23 -0700, John Landahl <jpl@digex.net.nospamplease>
> > wrote:
> > >These are my opinions, of course, and I graciously solicit the opinions of
> > >others. What do you think of the term "PIGgies"? Do you feel that there is
> >
> > Little piglets are cute animals. Besides, you obviously haven't seen an angry
> > boar charging at you at 100 miles per hour.
>
> <philosophy>
> If a boar and a penguing would charge at each other,
> would anyone hear?
> </philosophy>
>
> well-now-we-have-a-real-python-mascot-ly y'rs, Z.

Sure: a Python that has just eaten a pig.
Of course, grown-ups and Perl users would mistake it for a hat... [1]

Greetings,

Stephan

[1] Antoine de Saint-Exupery, "Le Petit Prince"
PIGgies? [ In reply to ]
Jeff Bauer wrote:

> PIGgies take their sense of humor seriously. Don't mess
> with them unless you want a pie in your face. ;-)

Do little PIGgies grow up to become cans of Spam??

--
Bear Technology Making Montana safe for Grizzlies

http://people.montana.com/~bowman/
PIGgies? [ In reply to ]
Hello, All--

Jeff Bauer wrote:

> > Am I the only Python enthusiast that has a problem
> > with the term "PIGgies"?
>
> The age of high brow Seriousness is over. We find
> cow sculptures invading Chicago -- even on the ledge
> of the opera house.

The invading cows are delightful. To view an excellent website
dedicated to them, visit:

http://www.illyria.com/chicowgo.html

(Those of you with a serious interest in the Vietnam war may find the
base site enlightening:

http://www.illyria.com
)

> Computer languages used to have meaningful, formidable
> names in UPPERCASE: FORTRAN, ALGOL, PL/I. Now we
> have Python -- named after practitioners of the most
> irreverent form of satire since Lenny Bruce.

WHO WOULD READ A BOOK ABOUT FORTRAN WRITTEN IN ALL UPPERCASE?

> The age of low brow Whimsicality is upon us. I see
> signs and portends in the distance.
>
> PIGgies take their sense of humor seriously. Don't mess
> with them unless you want a pie in your face. ;-)
>
> -Jeff Bauer
>
> P.S. Vote "Silly Party"!

<if-you-meet-the-buddha-on-the-road-kill-him>-ly y'rs,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
Callware Technologies, Inc.
ivanlan@callware.com
ivanlan@home.com
http://www.pauahtun.org
See also:
Army Signal Corps: Cu Chi, Class of '70
PIGgies? [ In reply to ]

JL> These are my opinions, of course, and I graciously solicit the
JL> opinions of others. What do you think of the term "PIGgies"?

As for the term PIGgies, I always called it a "PUG" until I heard
about BayPIGgies started. I don't know what a PUG is (other than a
pugnose), and a PIG has this connotation of being swallowed whole by
the Python. I have no idea what I'm actually talking about.

JL> Do you feel that there is a need (and room) for separate
JL> interest and advocacy groups? Do either the Python Software
JL> Activity or the Python Consortium already fill the advocacy
JL> role?

Anyway, I definitely think there is use in having informal local user
group chapters. Think of them as social gatherings with a distinctive
geek bent. Plus it's fun to meet your Pythonic neighbors, hobnob,
eat, and learn or discuss a few things. So I encourage other regions
to start up PUGs/PIGgies. If enough of them start up and have their
own Web pages, I'd even be happy to add something to python.org that
points to them.

-Barry
PIGgies? [ In reply to ]
bwarsaw@python.org wrote:
: As for the term PIGgies, I always called it a "PUG" until I heard
: about BayPIGgies started. I don't know what a PUG is (other than a
: pugnose)

There is a kind of dog called a pug. It looks like a bulldog.

: and a PIG has this connotation of being swallowed whole by
: the Python.

Everybody seems to have this pig-hating fantasy of seeing the pig
eaten by the python. Aren't pigs supposed to be cute and smart and
friendly? "Babe, Pig in the City" and all that? And aren't ham and
bacon punishment enough? Maybe pigs need their own interest group
as self defense.

Anybody interested in a Boston-area PIGgy? I know a few other Python
enthusiasts around here.

Resistance is futile. Capacitance is efficacious.
Will Ware email: wware @ world.std.com
PIGgies? [ In reply to ]

See http://www.theonion.com/

--
Brent Ellingson (bellings@badlands.NoDak.edu)
"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
PIGgies? [ In reply to ]
John Landahl wrote:
> Am I the only Python enthusiast that has a problem with
> the term "PIGgies"?

If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your revolution. -Emma
Goldman.

moo
ron@library.ucsf.edu
PIGgies? [ In reply to ]
In article <19990818171523.A22207@digex.net>,
John Landahl <jpl@digex.net.nospamplease> wrote:

>Lately I've been considering forming a high profile user group in San
>Francisco to help promote Python as a serious tool for mainstream use.
>Much to my chagrin I discovered that there's already a (recent) group
>called "BayPIGgies". I later noticed that the term "PIGgies" is used
>elsewhere for Python user groups. Am I the only Python enthusiast that
>has a problem with the term "PIGgies"?

I suspect that you've fallen for the common fallacy of thinking that
"Python" refers to a species of snake; in fact, "Python" is a reference
to Monty Python's Flying Circus, and most pythonistas make a point of
heavily using irreverent humor.

There's nothing like a cream pie to the face for demonstrating how
serious you are.
--
--- Aahz (@netcom.com)

Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het <*> http://www.rahul.net/aahz/
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6 (if you want to know, do some research)