Mailing List Archive

Enough [Was Re: Why use Perl when we've got Python?!]
John W. Stevens wrote:

[ crap deleted ]

Whatever your contributions to the python community, you're now in my
killfile, along with a handful of pl hotheads who do the same to us.

- Gordon
Enough [Was Re: Why use Perl when we've got Python?!] [ In reply to ]
[courtesy cc of this posting mailed to cited author]

In comp.lang.python, gmcm@hypernet.com writes:
:John W. Stevens wrote:
:[ crap deleted ]
:
:Whatever your contributions to the python community, you're now in my
:killfile, along with a handful of pl hotheads who do the same to us.

That man, along with Ian Clarke, have stirred up the biggest flame war
in the Perl newsgroup that we're seen for a long time, inflicting their
standard overrighteous prattle on us. I realize that they aren't truly
representative of Python people in general: several others have been
entirely reasonable and educative. I'm not sure hoter users realize
this, however.

On that killfiling issue, I just hope you're still around when I have
Python questions. :-)

--tom
--
: The ksh scripts do not have a problem with it.
That's because ksh doesn't much mind opening up security holes. The
Enough [Was Re: Why use Perl when we've got Python?!] [ In reply to ]
Tom Christiansen <tchrist@mox.perl.com> wrote:
: [courtesy cc of this posting mailed to cited author]

: In comp.lang.python, gmcm@hypernet.com writes:
: :John W. Stevens wrote:
: :[ crap deleted ]
: :
: :Whatever your contributions to the python community, you're now in my
: :killfile, along with a handful of pl hotheads who do the same to us.

: That man, along with Ian Clarke, have stirred up the biggest flame war
: in the Perl newsgroup that we're seen for a long time, inflicting their
: standard overrighteous prattle on us. I realize that they aren't truly
: representative of Python people in general: several others have been
: entirely reasonable and educative. I'm not sure hoter users realize
: this, however.

There was an attempt on c.l.p to divert the issue from c.l.p.m; much to
our collective regret, it didn't work (obviously).

-Arcege
Enough [Was Re: Why use Perl when we've got Python?!] [ In reply to ]
> That man, along with Ian Clarke, have stirred up the biggest flame war
> in the Perl newsgroup that we're seen for a long time, inflicting their
> standard overrighteous prattle on us.

That is rich coming from the guy that sets up automatic monthly emails
to people because he doesn't like their quoting style. As for stirring
up the flame war, Tom has posted around 60 messages on that thread, more
than most if not all others, many of them rude, patronizing, and
inflammatory. I have posted around 20, and in all cases I remain polite
and respectful to the people I am posting to (even, in most cases, Tom).

If anyone would like some samples of Tom's postings I would be happy to
supply (he sent 'courtesy' carbon copies to my email address of most of
his utterances).

To describe this as hypocrisy is an understatement.

Ian.
Enough [Was Re: Why use Perl when we've got Python?!] [ In reply to ]
----------
In article <1277478426-31364719@hypernet.com>, "Gordon McMillan"
<gmcm@hypernet.com> wrote:

> John W. Stevens wrote:
>
> [ crap deleted ]
>
> Whatever your contributions to the python community, you're now in my
> killfile, along with a handful of pl hotheads who do the same to us.

Wow! Occasionally a righteous man stands-up from the rabble fearlessly
declare the obvious!!! I didn't know that there's such men in the Python
group too!

Sir, may I kiss your foot?

Xah
xah@best.com
http://www.best.com/~xah/PageTwo_dir/more.html
Department of philosophy, Bovine University