http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/support.htm

enjoy,
the PIL development team
ANN: PIL 1.0 final [ In reply to ]
I compiled PIL 1.0 on Red Hat Linux 5.2, but then I get:

[schwinger:/usr/src/python/Python-1.5.2/Extensions/Imaging-1.0]# python
Python 1.5.2 (#5, Apr 14 1999, 19:21:58) [GCC 2.7.2.3] on linux2
>>> import _imaging
Traceback (innermost last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: /usr/lib/libtk8.0.so: undefined symbol: XFreePixmap

Is my tk version too old? I have tk-8.0.3-20.

M.
ANN: PIL 1.0 final [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 6 Aug 1999 09:17:24 GMT, "PythonWare" <info@pythonware.com>
wrote:

>: The Python Imaging Library (PIL) adds image processing capabilities
>: to your Python interpreter. This library supports many file formats,
>: and provides powerful image processing and graphics capabilities.
>:
>: PIL 1.0 final is now available from:
>:
>: http://www.pythonware.com/

Yes, but the PIL link on this page gives me:
http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/
<<<
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access this URL on this server. The
reason for this might be some of the following:

It has been locked out due to regulation violation (one or more
rules for Algonet has been ignored).
It's locked out by the webmaster by some other reason.
You have submitted the wrong URL (the correct URL to Algonet is
http://www.algonet.se).
The administrator/owner of the file has locked it out for some
reason.

It might also be wrong permissions on the file you're trying to reach.
The administrator of the page and/or filename should issue the
command:

chmod 755 filename.html

...to make it world readable.

If you have any questions, please leave a message to me.

/Algonet Webmaster

A+

Laurent.
ANN: PIL 1.0 final [ In reply to ]
Michael Spalinski <mspal@sangria.harvard.edu> wrote:
> I compiled PIL 1.0 on Red Hat Linux 5.2, but then I get:
>
> [schwinger:/usr/src/python/Python-1.5.2/Extensions/Imaging-1.0]# python
> Python 1.5.2 (#5, Apr 14 1999, 19:21:58) [GCC 2.7.2.3] on linux2
> Copyright 1991-1995 Stichting Mathematisch Centrum, Amsterdam
> Traceback (innermost last):
> File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> ImportError: /usr/lib/libtk8.0.so: undefined symbol: XFreePixmap
> >>>

> Is my tk version too old? I have tk-8.0.3-20.

this might work:

comment out the Tkinter-related lines in the
Setup file and rebuild PIL (to use ImageTk, you
need to hook into Tkinter in the old way; see
Tk/README for more info).

or this:

rebuild Tcl/Tk with --enable-shared, and then
relink PIL.

hope this helps!

the PIL development team
ANN: PIL 1.0 final [ In reply to ]
You need to add -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 to the final link, if you're
using Linux.
ANN: PIL 1.0 final [ In reply to ]
nbecker@fred.net wrote:
> You need to add -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 to the final link, if you're
> using Linux.

I'm offically on vacation, and my brain is pretty much
switched off, but doesn't that gives you multiple copies
of the Tcl/Tk libraries (one in PIL and one in _tkinter?).

I'd definitely recommend using shared versions of Tcl
and Tk instead...

</F>
ANN: PIL 1.0 final [ In reply to ]
PythonWare wrote:

> The Python Imaging Library (PIL) adds image processing capabilities
> to your Python interpreter. This library supports many file formats,
> and provides powerful image processing and graphics capabilities.

Congratulations! This is a Really Big Deal! PIL is an awesome piece of
work. (in several senses)

Paul Prescod