Mailing List Archive

Fwd: gzip/zlib module Doc bug (1.5.2b2 Library Reference)
Bernhard Reiter writes:
> This leaves the impression that the gzip module can decompress
> all the files the gzip program can decompress, which is not true.
> The gzip program can also deflate data compressed with "compress"
> and "pack". The python module cannot do this.

I've made changes to make this more clear.

> This is not true for Windows, where you need and have to use an
> additional "b" in the mode argument. At least I needed to do it,

Good point; the modules were written and tested on Unix systems, so
this wasn't caught here. I've fixed the documentation and made the
module always use the binary the default flavor for 'mode'.

> Both bugs sucked in some of my time.
> I hope this helps to improve! ;->

I'm sorry this cost you some time, but I'm glad to have the bug
report! Thanks for pointing this out!
These changes will be included in the next documentation release;
your prize is one free download. ;-)

-Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr. <fdrake@acm.org>