http://www.pauahtun.org
See also:
Army Signal Corps: Cu Chi, Class of '70
Editors for Macintosh [ In reply to ]
"ivl" == Ivan Van Laningham <Ivan> writes:

ivl> Are there any other good editors (i.e., Python-aware) besides
ivl> Alpha out there for the Macintosh? I don't want to _use_ one, I
ivl> just want to know if there are any that people recommend.

Regarding the Mac download from python.org, Jack Jansen's MacPython
Page [1] states

Also included is an integrated development environment by Just van
Rossum, which includes an editor, debugger and class browser all
closely integrated.

I've found this IDE sufficient for Python development on the Mac.

michael

1. http://www.cwi.nl/~jack/macpython.html
Editors for Macintosh [ In reply to ]
In article <379CB0C8.FA84F91C@callware.com>, Ivan Van Laningham
<ivanlan@callware.com> wrote:

> Hi All--
> Are there any other good editors (i.e., Python-aware) besides Alpha out
> there for the Macintosh? I don't want to _use_ one, I just want to know
> if there are any that people recommend.

I use BBEdit on the Mac and do to the fact that there is no syntax
colouring mode for python I've mapped the ending "py" to Tcl syntax
colouring.

BBEdit does it's job very well because I can save the Python-Files as
"Python Files" so they run by double click ;-) (Non Mac Users won't
understand that I suppose :o)

I don't use the IDE very often because I mostly deal with Tkinter on the
Mac too, but if you don't need that the IDE will be a very good choice
also.

J"org

--
J"org Kantel Max-Planck-Institute for the History of Science
Computer-Department kantel@mpiwg-berlin.mpg.de
Editors for Macintosh [ In reply to ]
>In article <379CB0C8.FA84F91C@callware.com>, Ivan Van Laningham
><ivanlan@callware.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All--
>> Are there any other good editors (i.e., Python-aware) besides Alpha out
>> there for the Macintosh? I don't want to _use_ one, I just want to know
>> if there are any that people recommend.
>
>I use BBEdit on the Mac and do to the fact that there is no syntax
>colouring mode for python I've mapped the ending "py" to Tcl syntax
>colouring.
>
>BBEdit does it's job very well because I can save the Python-Files as
>"Python Files" so they run by double click ;-) (Non Mac Users won't
>understand that I suppose :o)
>
>I don't use the IDE very often because I mostly deal with Tkinter on the
>Mac too, but if you don't need that the IDE will be a very good choice
>also.

I remember hearing rumours that the next major release of BBEdit will
include much more powerful syntax colouring capabilities, possibly with user
editing. The reason for such limited support in the current versions is that
each language is hard-coded into the (Object Pascal!) source code and thus
very hard extend.

Just rumours, of course, but I learned much of this from talking with the
author a couple of years ago while trying to convince him that he needed to
provide hooks so we could support our company's web scripting language.

-chris