Bill Eldridge
Radio Free Asia
bill@hk.rfa.org
NT admin modules? [ In reply to ]
Bill Eldridge wrote in message <7nheqm$81n$1@salome.rfa.org>...

>I was thumbing through a Win32 Perl programming book

Soon you will be able to thumb through a Win32 Python programming book, and
we cover all of this :-)

> and found a lot of admin modules available
>for the NT world - is there a similar assortment
>for Python, or is someone working on porting these?

There are a huge number of these functions available in the latest (build
125) win32net module - functions for creating users, shares, groups,
changing server info etc. We infact go better than Perl for these
functions, as Perl limits you to pre-defined "information levels" which do
not cover the complete information about these objects. Python supports all
information levels supported by the Windows APIs. However, build 125 is
missing a few functions that Perl does cover - my latest source tree does
now cover all of these (and more) so I could mail you a later version.

Also, depending on the requirements, win32security, win32evtlog, win32pdh
(perf mon) and win32service modules all provide administrative type
functions (eg, controlling/querying services, reading event log or perf mon
info, changing security on objects, etc)

Mark.