Mailing List Archive

Python, Linux 2.0, GCC 2.7.2.3 and threading
Hello everyone,

A friend of mine posted here recently describing a problem he was
having running my program Pagecast under Linux 2.0. Pagecast is a
Python program that uses several threads. He was using Linux 2.0.36,
glibc 2.0.7, and Python 1.5.2. I can't confirm at this time what
compiler version he was using (to compile Python) but I think it was
probably GCC 2.7.2.3.

I know this because I could reproduce his errors on my machine when I
rebooted into Linux 2.0.36. At some point in my program, after a
couple of threads ran and exited, Linux would 'oops' then continue on
its merry way. I can post a kernel oops that Klaus (my friend) sent
me; mine were very similiar. I had compiled my Python with GCC
2.7.2.3.

Then I recompiled Python with pgcc-2.91.66 19990314 (egcs-1.1.2
release) for unrelated reasons. I was no longer able to reproduce the
problem; everything worked great, and Python was *much* peppier to
boot.

I'm just wondering if anyone can confirm having a similar experience;
does Python (especially 1.5.2) need to be compiled with egcs on Linux
for threading to work properly? If so, I would like to put words to
that effect in my program's README to warn my users.

Never mind that Red Hat apparently didn't feel the need to include
threading support in their 5.x release Python packages. (Nor
slackware.) I get more email about that than anything else. The
answer: get a real distribution. No really, the answer is recompile
Python. I'm just wondering if I need to add a caveat that says "with
egcs" or perhaps "NOT with gcc 2.7.2.3."

Thanks for your time,

---Preston

preston@askpreston.com

Pagecast is at:
http://askpreston.com/projects/pagecast

The Pagecast 1.1 release is coming soon! Watch Freshmeat.net for
details.

--
|| Preston Landers <mithy@my-deja.com> ||
|| http://askpreston.com ||

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Python, Linux 2.0, GCC 2.7.2.3 and threading [ In reply to ]
Preston Landers <mithy@my-deja.com> wrote:

> A friend of mine posted here recently describing a problem he was
> having running my program Pagecast under Linux 2.0. Pagecast is
> a Python program that uses several threads. He was using Linux
> 2.0.36, glibc 2.0.7, and Python 1.5.2. I can't confirm at this
> time what compiler version he was using (to compile Python) but
> I think it was probably GCC 2.7.2.3.

It was indeed gcc 2.7.2.3. I will try and recompile Python using egcs and
see if that works, thanks for the hint.

//Klaus

--