thanks in advance,

Nick
http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~n2taylor/
Printable Python reference [ In reply to ]
Nick Taylor <ntaylor@newbridge.com> writes:

> I decided to take a look at Python today for the first time, and it
> sounds very interesting.

It is!

> Does anyone know of a printable (i.e. PDF,
> PostScript, or plain-text) reference out there?

Try ftp://ftp.python.org/pub/python/doc . You'll find PS, PDF, and
LaTeX documents. They're packaged as .tar.gz archives, though, which
might be a problem if you run Windoze. Maybe there are ZIP versions
somewhere.

By the way, once you get through or around the tutorial, the Library
reference is probably the one you'll use most.

Best of luck w/ Python.

Matt Gushee
Portland, Maine, USA
Printable Python reference [ In reply to ]

Printable Python reference [ In reply to ]
On 23 Jul 1999 10:01:15 +0900, Matt Gushee <mgushee@havenrock.com> wrote:
>Nick Taylor <ntaylor@newbridge.com> writes:
>> I decided to take a look at Python today for the first time, and it
>> sounds very interesting.
>It is!

I'll second that...

>> Does anyone know of a printable (i.e. PDF,
>> PostScript, or plain-text) reference out there?
>Try ftp://ftp.python.org/pub/python/doc . You'll find PS, PDF, and
>LaTeX documents. They're packaged as .tar.gz archives, though, which
>might be a problem if you run Windoze. Maybe there are ZIP versions
>somewhere.

I'll only do this once, I promise.

.tar.gz files are no problem with Windows. WinZip handles them better
(IMHO) than "tar -xvzf". I'm forced to use NT during the day, and it's
not my favourite, but there are a few things it does really well, and
uncompressing stuff is one of them. (The other two are COM and ASP.
COM because there's nothing like it in the Unix world. (Don't even
mention CORBA. The benefit of COM is that _everybody_ uses it, and so
it's useful. The disadvantage of CORBA is that almost no-one uses it,
and so it's useless.) ASP because you can use any scripting language
you want (provided it has a couple of hooks). PHP is decent, but I
don't see why I should have to learn yet another scripting language when
I already know VBScript, JavaScript, Perl, Bash, Python, etc...)

Anyways, that was my rant. I'll stop now.

Later,
Blake.

--
One Will. One Dream. One Truth. One Destiny. One Love.
Printable Python reference [ In reply to ]
Blake Winton wrote:

> .tar.gz files are no problem with Windows. WinZip handles them better
> (IMHO) than "tar -xvzf". I'm forced to use NT during the day, and it's
> not my favourite, but there are a few things it does really well, and
> uncompressing stuff is one of them.

Yeah, although WinZip can load .tars but seems to have trouble uncompressing
them. Good thing I've got the highly useful MKS Toolkit on my NT box.

Thanks for the info. I look forward to working with Python.