give Microsoft's implementation a try; see the little-known

http://www.microsoft.com/iit/

This is not for the Windows-ignorant, weak-hearted, or slow-modem'ed <wink>,
but (at least for now) it's all free, and you'll face the same irksome
issues with microphones, sound cards and multimedia drivers you'll hit with
anyone's offering.

pioneers-don't-ask-for-help-because-they're-too-obsessed-to-conceive-
of-failing<wink>-ly y'rs - tim
interfacing to Dragon from a Python app [ In reply to ]
In article <000801be89dd$d407a0c0$ed9e2299@tim>,
"Tim Peters" <tim_one@email.msn.com> wrote:

> FYI, people curious about speech recognition under Windows might want to
> give Microsoft's implementation a try; see the little-known
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/iit/

Thanks for the pointer. I browsed around the site for awhile.

> This is not for the Windows-ignorant, weak-hearted, or slow-modem'ed <wink>,

I couldn't quite bring myself to start the 21MB download. I'm still
pondering my approach to the whole Speech Recognition (SR) thing. I'm
gradually getting some hardware set up that might support it and
considering the Dragon Preferred product (around $135 somewhere on
the net) versus saving up for the Dragon developer's kit. Third in
line, I guess, is Microsoft's 21MB download. Although ...

I'm also thinking of overall priorities -- in that that SR might
not be able to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear (then again,
a sow's ear may be better at SR than a silk purse).

-- Frank
frank.sergeant@pobox.com
interfacing to Dragon from a Python app [ In reply to ]
I have used microsoft's iit product. What attracted me was the price..
(Also, I have T3 access)

It DOES work, though you need a good headset for dictation to work well. I
guess that's generally true of everything else anyway..

I'm planning on using it with Python to "read" imap messages to me via
telephone...