Mailing List Archive

Printing from a wxpython application under Windows98
I am a Linux user and have no experience in programming printer functions
in a windows-environment.

I am writing an application that would have to run on Windows 98. I see
in the documentation that the printer setup dialog is no longer necessary
for windows 98. How I handle printing in Windows? How do you set up the
printer?

I have tried the PrintFramework demo on Linux, and it ended in a
segmentation fault. I do not know why and that prevents me from
experimenting which is the way I learn most of my programming.

To be specific: If I want to print from a database on a preprinted
certificate, which would be the best way to handle it?

1. Using wxPrinter
2. Writing my own classes in python printing using the os module (of which
I am not certain in a Windows environment)
3. Create a LaTeX file and print using LaTeX and dvips.
4. Any other way?

Johann

| Johann Spies Windsorlaan 19 |
| jhspies@futurenet.co.za 3201 Pietermaritzburg |
| Tel/Faks Nr. +27 331-46-1310 Suid-Afrika (South Africa) |

"God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the
fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord."
I Corinthians 1:9
Printing from a wxpython application under Windows98 [ In reply to ]
>How I handle printing in Windows? How do you set up the
>printer?

I'm also interested in the answer to this :-)

>4. Any other way?

You might look into piddle http://www.strout.net/python/piddle/
It can generate output in many formats including pdf and postscript.
A wxPython backend for piddle is also under development.

--Jeff