written in Python; I'm looking
for a Python module that users import, then provide data to, in order to
manage dependencies. (The
answer I got from the Perl crowd was 'cool idea, but no'; I'm hoping
I'll have more luck here.)
Thanks,
Greg (who'd really, really like to override some of the things that
GNU make does)
make or similar in Python [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 07 Jul 1999 13:39:42 -0400, Greg Wilson <gvwilson@nevex.com>
wrote:

>Hi, folks. Has anyone ever written a dependency management/update tool
>(like 'make') in Python?
>I'm not looking for something that reads makefiles, and happens to be
>written in Python; I'm looking
>for a Python module that users import, then provide data to, in order to
>manage dependencies. (The
>answer I got from the Perl crowd was 'cool idea, but no'; I'm hoping
>I'll have more luck here.)
>Thanks,
>Greg (who'd really, really like to override some of the things that
>GNU make does)

Check out
ftp://ftp.python.org/pub/python/contrib/System/pymake-0.1-sb.tar.gz
You will probably have to hack it up a bit to do exactly what you
want, but it's probably a really good start.

Robert Kern |
----------------------|"In the fields of Hell where the grass grows high
This space | Are the graves of dreams allowed to die."
intentionally | - Richard Harter
left blank. |
make or similar in Python [ In reply to ]
kernr@mail.ncifcrf.gov (Robert Kern) writes:
> On Wed, 07 Jul 1999 13:39:42 -0400, Greg Wilson <gvwilson@nevex.com>
> wrote:
> >Hi, folks. Has anyone ever written a dependency management/update tool
> >(like 'make') in Python?
> >I'm not looking for something that reads makefiles, and happens to be
> >written in Python; I'm looking
> >for a Python module that users import, then provide data to, in order to
> >manage dependencies. (The
> >answer I got from the Perl crowd was 'cool idea, but no'; I'm hoping
> >I'll have more luck here.)
> >Thanks,
> >Greg (who'd really, really like to override some of the things that
> >GNU make does)
>
> Check out
> ftp://ftp.python.org/pub/python/contrib/System/pymake-0.1-sb.tar.gz
> You will probably have to hack it up a bit to do exactly what you
> want, but it's probably a really good start.

If you're not tied down to Python (or you're looking for a coding
challenge), there's a tool written in Perl called 'cons' that purports to
eliminate make and whose 'Makefiles' are actual Perl programs. You might
take a look at that and adapt it to your needs.
--
Nathan | froydnj@rose-hulman.edu | http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~froydnj/

Evolution is a million line computer program falling into place by accident.
make or similar in Python [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 07 Jul 1999 13:39:42 -0400, Greg Wilson <gvwilson@nevex.com> wrote:
>Hi, folks. Has anyone ever written a dependency management/update tool
>(like 'make') in Python?
>Greg (who'd really, really like to override some of the things that
>GNU make does)

It's not Python-related, but there's a tool called icmake which has a
C-like scripting syntax; do a Web search for it. Unfortunately it
doesn't seem to be maintained any longer; the archive I found was
dated 1994.

--
A.M. Kuchling http://starship.python.net/crew/amk/
All this progress is marvelous... now if only it would stop!
make or similar in Python [ In reply to ]
Howdy:
Funny, I'm searching for the exact same thing.

My idea is to use XML as a repository for the dependencies and other
required configuration properties. A Python script will query the db and
generate dynamic makefiles. A pain is that this has to work on NT and Unix
and perhaps even by web based via Servelets.

make or similar in Python [ In reply to ]
Hi again:

There is also a commercial product that does this called OpenMake.
Haven't evaluated yet.

make or similar in Python [ In reply to ]
Greg Wilson wrote:

> Hi, folks. Has anyone ever written a dependency management/update tool
> (like 'make') in Python?
> I'm not looking for something that reads makefiles, and happens to be
> written in Python; I'm looking
> for a Python module that users import, then provide data to, in order to
> manage dependencies. (The
> answer I got from the Perl crowd was 'cool idea, but no'; I'm hoping
> I'll have more luck here.)
> Thanks,
> Greg (who'd really, really like to override some of the things that
> GNU make does)

If you just want a cross platform one then take a look at "bras"

http://wsd.iitb.fhg.de/%7Ekir/brashome/

which is a pure Tcl solution.

--
Paul Duffin
DT/6000 Development Email: pduffin@hursley.ibm.com
make or similar in Python [ In reply to ]
"T. C. Mits" <71351.356@compuserve.com> writes:

> Howdy:
> Funny, I'm searching for the exact same thing.
>
> My idea is to use XML as a repository for the dependencies and other
> required configuration properties. A Python script will query the db and
> generate dynamic makefiles. A pain is that this has to work on NT and Unix
> and perhaps even by web based via Servelets.
>

> Greg Wilson <gvwilson@nevex.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, folks. Has anyone ever written a dependency management/update tool
> > (like 'make') in Python?
> > I'm not looking for something that reads makefiles, and happens to be
> > written in Python; I'm looking
> > for a Python module that users import, then provide data to, in order to
> > manage dependencies. (The
> > answer I got from the Perl crowd was 'cool idea, but no'; I'm hoping
> > I'll have more luck here.)
> > Thanks,
> > Greg (who'd really, really like to override some of the things that
> > GNU make does)

Ask sam@mitre.org for PyMake.

Markus
--