Mailing List Archive

Advice for Newbie
I read the Python homepage. I sounds promising. What books do you
commend for a beginner?
Advice for Newbie [ In reply to ]
In article <377588E9.82E8F567@dsuper.net>, Dave <redsand@dsuper.net> wrote:

>I read the Python homepage. I sounds promising. What books do you
>commend for a beginner?

If you already have experience with other programming languages, some
combination of the following: _Programming Python_, _Learning Python_,
and the on-line tutorial/documentation. If you're not a programmer and
you're not in a hurry, wait for _Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours_.
--
--- Aahz (@netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6 <*> http://www.rahul.net/aahz/
Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het
Advice for Newbie [ In reply to ]
_Learning Python_ is much better than _Programming Python_, which is a bit
disorganized and hard to follow, and also a bit dated. And if you're
interested in the win32 extensions, or in JPython, then _Learning Python_ is
definitely the place to start. It also has some useful sections on 'gotchas'
that beginners (like me) often run into.

But, I have to say, I found that after a glance through the books, it was
pretty easy just to start writing Python code with the occasional glance at
the online documentation. And the code just works. Totally different from my
experience learning C.

Wesley.

Advice for Newbie [ In reply to ]
Thanks, guys. I'll try the on-line tutorial and then Learning Python.
Without getting in a religious war, it seems Python has more potential than Java
does.

Advice for Newbie [ In reply to ]
In article <377588E9.82E8F567@dsuper.net>, Dave <redsand@dsuper.net> wrote:
>I read the Python homepage. I sounds promising. What books do you
>commend for a beginner?

People have suggested books, and I won't add to the comments because I
basically agree. You might also like to subscribe to the Tutor mailing
list (details available at the Python website). This'll give you access
to a group of more experienced folks who can answer your questions.

Corran