Mailing List Archive

Does ODBC support 'tables()' function ?
--------------E10CEF6C1B83E11FD74880C9

Looking for a database solution that is portable between Windows 95 and another
OS I thought to use the ODBC interface. I played around with several options,
including myQDBC for MySQL database, but a MS Access databse as well. Everything
went pretty smooth. Marc-Andre Lemburg's python module mxODBC works fine.

But now I have the idea to be able to find out which tables are available in a
database connected. When trying to use the <cursor>.tables() function I get the
following error message on an Access database:(db is database handle, c is
cursor):

> Traceback (innermost last):
> File "<interactive input>", line 0, in ?
> NotSupportedError: ('S1C00', 84, '[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access 97 Driver]
> Driver not capable ', 3383)

On mySQL databases I only get the number returned by 'c.tables('','','','').
Then, trying:

> Traceback (innermost last):
> File "<interactive input>", line 0, in ?
> NotSupportedError: ('IM001', 0, '[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager]
> Driver does not support this function', 3431)

How can I get the names of the tables ???

I spent almost a whole day in the MSDN Library to get information on the ODBC
interface implemented; I got the impression that it should work ... I checked
the ODBC Drivers installed; all are version 3.5.xxx .

On my crusade through the web I came accross a post in this newsgroup referring
to My SQL.pyd together with a DLL which now gives me direct access to MySQL
databases. Fine, and are there similar Python modules for other OSs ???

Many questions at once, but a wrapup of several days od trial.
I will be happy about answers !

Thank you, Stefan.

--------------E10CEF6C1B83E11FD74880C9

begin:vcard