Mailing List Archive

Curses for MSDOS
Is there anything like curses for MS-DOS? Thanx.

Paul
Curses for MSDOS [ In reply to ]
On 19 Jun 99, Swartz wrote:

> Is there anything like curses for MS-DOS? Thanx.

Python-DX has curses built-in. I got it from a public domain library
called pdcurses. I've never really tried it though, so you're on your
own here.

Check out Python-DX (only compiled binaries...) at

http://www.cuci.nl/~hnowak/html/python-dx.html

--Hans Nowak (ivnowa@hvision.nl)
Homepage: http://fly.to/zephyrfalcon
Curses for MSDOS [ In reply to ]
Swartz <swartz@erols.com> writes:

> Is there anything like curses for MS-DOS? Thanx.

pdcurses by M. Hessling , it can be found on some sites that also
carry djgpp.
dunno whether it can be brought to run with the pytrhon curses module
whether by ellinghouse or andrich

Klaus Schilling
Curses for MSDOS [ In reply to ]
Swartz <swartz@erols.com> wrote:
> Is there anything like curses for MS-DOS? Thanx.

I know of PC-Curses. Written in the early 80s. Maybe someone has
extended it, but in the state I had seen it had no NCurses extensions
and wouldn't work with Python.

Probably very few people used it, because that screen access mechanism
was relatively slow on MS-DOS.

cu
k.j.
Curses for MSDOS [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Klaus-Juergen Wolf wrote:

> Swartz <swartz@erols.com> wrote:
> > Is there anything like curses for MS-DOS? Thanx.
>
> I know of PC-Curses. Written in the early 80s. Maybe someone has
> extended it, but in the state I had seen it had no NCurses extensions
> and wouldn't work with Python.
>
> Probably very few people used it, because that screen access mechanism
> was relatively slow on MS-DOS.

I learned that the emulation of curses in SLang
(ftp://space.mit.edu/pub/davis/slang/) is sometimes even better than the
original curses, ncurses, etc. I may be valid also for MS-DOS. If you can
build the SLang library for MS-DOS and link your curses-demanding
application with it you may have solved your problems.

You may want to take a look at the Python wrapper for SLang:
ftp://starship.python.net/pub/crew/avv/pyslang/pyslang-0.2.0.tgz

I haven't yet tried it for MS-DOS (there were no demand, especially from
myself :-), but it may compile out of box.

For MS-DOS with djgpp everybody is welcom to try my very very alpha
wrapper around TurboVision, please take a look at the binary
"distribution" (just try and let me know if that makes sense for you)
ftp://starship.python.net/pub/crew/avv/tvpython

Regards

Alexander
Curses for MSDOS [ In reply to ]
Alexander V. Voinov <avv@quasar.ipa.nw.ru> wrote:
> Hi,

> Klaus-Juergen Wolf wrote:

>> Swartz <swartz@erols.com> wrote:
>> > Is there anything like curses for MS-DOS? Thanx.
>>
>> I know of PC-Curses. Written in the early 80s. Maybe someone has
>> extended it, but in the state I had seen it had no NCurses extensions
>> and wouldn't work with Python.
>>
>> Probably very few people used it, because that screen access mechanism
>> was relatively slow on MS-DOS.

> I learned that the emulation of curses in SLang
> (ftp://space.mit.edu/pub/davis/slang/) is sometimes even better than the
> original curses, ncurses, etc. I may be valid also for MS-DOS. If you can
> build the SLang library for MS-DOS and link your curses-demanding
> application with it you may have solved your problems.

um. Not exactly. The two have comparable performance, and slang's curses
interface differs subtly from the normal curses implementations, so
actually only trivial applications can be ported to it without
modification.

Once in a while I am briefly tempted to do side-by-side comparisons (I have
some programs that work with BSD and SYSV curses), but since slang's curses
imitation is ad hoc - contains only the functions that were necessary for
one or another of the sample programs, then either I'd have to butcher the
program or fill in the gaps in slang's code - and then it still wouldn't
function the same.

PDcurses on the other hand, does implement curses...

--
Thomas E. Dickey
dickey@clark.net