program. I could pull out my copy of TurboPascal, but I'd like to write it
in Python to further my education.

Any help?
Newbie question: DOS console commands? [ In reply to ]
"Phaedrus42" <tcropley@nospam.prodigy.net> writes:

> I'm new to Python this week and was wondering if there are any console
> commands to use on a DOS screen (e.g. ClearScreen, GotoXY, Foreground and
> Background colors, etc.)
>
> I've got PythonWin running on Windows 95 and am having fun learning the
> language and Tkinter, but I have a need to write a simple DOS interface
> program. I could pull out my copy of TurboPascal, but I'd like to write it
> in Python to further my education.

Maybe try to use Andrich's Curses Module with M. Hessling's PDcurses?
One prolly would neet to cut out some stuff that isn't supported
by PDcurses.

Klaus Schilling
Newbie question: DOS console commands? [ In reply to ]
> I'm new to Python this week and was wondering if there are any console
> commands to use on a DOS screen (e.g. ClearScreen, GotoXY, Foreground and
> Background colors, etc.)
>
> I've got PythonWin running on Windows 95 and am having fun learning the
> language and Tkinter, but I have a need to write a simple DOS interface
> program. I could pull out my copy of TurboPascal, but I'd like to write it
> in Python to further my education.

I happen to maintain a Python version for DOS, which has *some*
support for screen manipulation. Due to the little interest in a DOS
Python, I never really looked into this, I just kludged together a
few modules and functions. <rant> Now if this stupid little #&#*(@(
computer vendor had provided me with a well-working box, I would have
been able to look at it right now and maybe write a few extra
functions... but since they didn't, I'm unable to update Python-DX
(and my snippets page) at this moment. I will in the (hopefully near)
future though. </rant>

Meanwhile, you could check out Python-DX at
http://www.cuci.nl/~hnowak/html/python-dx.html . Check out modules
like _conio and _pc. (There are wrapper modules for them, but they're
part of a separate library, which I have different plans with.)

If you're really wanting to use this extensively I will update my
modules and docco as soon as I can.

Veel liefs,

--Hans Nowak (ivnowa@hvision.nl)
Homepage: http://fly.to/zephyrfalcon