Mailing List Archive

IDLE interacting w Shell
--------------3316D9A0B1BAE1B21E094175

Hi,

I am trying to use IDLE somewhat like Emacs. I can't use Emacs
because some of Numpy Code will stop and kill the shell on Emacs when
certain errors occur. Not to mention IDLE is a lot lighter.
Every time I hit F5 or 'Edit|Run module' I get an output window. I
want to get the run results and direct to shell like Emacs' C-c C-c,
instead of getting an output window.
for exaple: if I have following in Editor and press F5
import os
I would like to see following working on the shell:
>> dir(os)

Any help would be much appreciated!

S. Hoon Yoon (Quant) Merrill Lynch Equity Trading,
yelled@yahoo.com hoon@bigfoot.com(w)
"Miracle is always only few standard deviations away, but so is
catastrophe."
* Expressed opinions are often my own, but NOT my employer's.
"I feel like a fugitive from the law of averages." Mauldin
--------------3316D9A0B1BAE1B21E094175

begin: vcard
fn: Hoon Yoon
n: ;Hoon Yoon
email;internet: hyoon@bigfoot.com
x-mozilla-cpt: ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version: 2.1
end: vcard

--------------3316D9A0B1BAE1B21E094175--
IDLE interacting w Shell [ In reply to ]
[Hoon Yoon]
> I am trying to use IDLE somewhat like Emacs. I can't use Emacs
> because some of Numpy Code will stop and kill the shell on Emacs when
> certain errors occur. Not to mention IDLE is a lot lighter.

Guido is working hard to close the gap <wink>.

> Every time I hit F5 or 'Edit|Run module' I get an output window. I
> want to get the run results and direct to shell like Emacs' C-c C-c,
> instead of getting an output window.

The current CVS IDLE has distinct "run script" and "import module" cmds.
The former is much closer to pymode C-c C-c, although you still need to
explicitly save the file before running it. Eventually I suppose it will
grow "run region" etc subcommands too.

> for exaple: if I have following in Editor and press F5
> import os
> I would like to see following working on the shell:
> >> dir(os)

Yes, works fine with the new "run script" cmd. Any output produced by the
script is also written to the shell window -- the separate output windows
are gone.

time-machine-working-overtime-ly y'rs - tim