Windows 95/98: Python uses console, not stdio
I am unable to run Python in a shell window in emacs on Windows
95/98. I use the bash shell, but don't think this makes any
difference.

If Python reads/writes from/to console, not stdio, this would be an
explanation.

If my guess is right, would it be possible to switch to using stdio?

Jon
Windows 95/98: Python uses console, not stdio [ In reply to ]
Jon K Hellan writes:

> I am unable to run Python in a shell window in emacs on Windows
> 95/98. I use the bash shell, but don't think this makes any
> difference.
>
> If Python reads/writes from/to console, not stdio, this would be an
> explanation.

But it doesn't. On Windows, stdio (and the whole c runtime lib) is a
compatibility layer. NT achieves the best compatibility, though
it still requires workarounds and has a few doesn't-work-at-alls. The
number of the latter increases on Win95/98. This is probably related
to a known Win95 bug that prevents piping from working.

- Gordon