Mailing List Archive

Suggestion: Dutch Python mailinglist
This e-mail is in two languages. Look below for the Dutch version.
Deze e-mail is in twee talen. Kijk beneden voor de Nederlandse versie.

Hello all,
I'm a 13-years-old Dutch boy, and my English is not good. Now I have the
chance to set up a Dutch python mailinglist. I know there are many Dutch
python-users, but most of them know English very well. So will there be
any users who'll subscribe to such a mailinglist, or will it remain very quiet?

regards,
Gerrit.

Ik ben een Nederlandse jongen van 13 jaar, en mijn Engels is niet goed. Ik
heb nu de mogelijkheid om een Nederlandse Python mailinglist op te zetten. Ik
weet dat er veel Nederlandse Python-gebruikers zijn, maar de meeste van hen
kennen genoeg Engels. Zullen er gebruikers zijn die zich zouden abboneren op
zo'n mailinglist, of zal het doodstil blijven?

groeten,
Gerrit.

--
The Dutch Linuxgames website. De Nederlandse Linuxgames pagina.
Everything about games on Linux. Alles over spelletjes onder Linux.
Suggestion: Dutch Python mailinglist [ In reply to ]
[Gerrit Holl]
> This e-mail is in two languages. Look below for the Dutch version.
> Deze e-mail is in twee talen. Kijk beneden voor de Nederlandse versie.
>
> Hello all,
> I'm a 13-years-old Dutch boy, and my English is not good. Now I have the
> chance to set up a Dutch python mailinglist. I know there are many Dutch
> python-users, but most of them know English very well. So will there be
> any users who'll subscribe to such a mailinglist, or will it
> remain very quiet?
>
> regards,
> Gerrit.

Gerrit, rest assured that your English is better than that of most
13-year-old Americans! Don't know about young Englishmen, but they spell
funny anyway <wink>.

one-day-the-whole-world-will-speak-python-ly y'rs - tim
Suggestion: Dutch Python mailinglist [ In reply to ]
this_notion = 'one-day-the-whole-world-will-speak-python'
scary = 0

this_notion is scary
Suggestion: Dutch Python mailinglist [ In reply to ]
In article <slrn7lli2q.ia.gerrit@gerrit.palga.uucp>,
Gerrit Holl <gerrit@nl.linux.org> wrote:

>I'm a 13-years-old Dutch boy, and my English is not good. Now I have
>the chance to set up a Dutch python mailinglist. I know there are many
>Dutch python-users, but most of them know English very well. So will
>there be any users who'll subscribe to such a mailinglist, or will it
>remain very quiet?

Geeze, I send Gerrit an e-mail telling him that his English is better
than many native speakers twice his age, and this is the thanks I get?

;-)

(Gerrit, in case the double-talk above wasn't clear, your English is
very, very good, and I wish you would stop beating yourself.)
--
--- Aahz (@netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6 <*> http://www.rahul.net/aahz/
Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het

"Why do you like my boyfriend to tie you up and beat me.?"
-- ELIZA generates a poly moment
Suggestion: Dutch Python mailinglist [ In reply to ]
Aahz Maruch wrote:
[snip]
> (Gerrit, in case the double-talk above wasn't clear, your English is
> very, very good, and I wish you would stop beating yourself.)

I frequently get embarrassed by the English of native speakers. My
English grammar may not be optimal, and I make a few spelling mistakes
here and there, but Cmdr_Taco of Slashdot makes far more. :)

That said, if there's a Dutch Python mailing list I'll probably join it.
I don't know how talkative I'll be, though -- I'm spread across a few
too many mailing lists already.

Note that there is a cosmic conspiracy involving the Dutch language, by
the way, which I uncovered some months. All kinds of people in
comp.lang.python that look like normal Usenet denizens turn out to speak
Dutch!

Regards,

Martijn
Suggestion: Dutch Python mailinglist [ In reply to ]
Gerrit Holl wrote:

> I know there are many Dutch
> python-users, but most of them know English very well.

Dutch people use Python? Since when?

> Ik ben een Nederlandse jongen van 13 jaar, en mijn Engels is niet goed.

Actually, I can pretty much read that without learning Dutch. It looks
like English with some spelling mistakes. And no more typing mistakes than
is typical for mailing lists.

--
Paul Prescod - ISOGEN Consulting Engineer speaking for only himself
http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

"Silence," wrote Melville, "is the only Voice of God." The assertion,
like its subject, cuts both ways, negating and affirming, implying both
absence and presence, offering us a choice; it's a line that the Society
of American Atheists could put on its letterhead and the Society of
Friends could silently endorse while waiting to be moved by the spirit
to speak. - Listening for Silence by Mark Slouka, Apr. 1999, Harper's
Suggestion: Dutch Python mailinglist [ In reply to ]
Gerrit Holl wrote:
> This e-mail is in two languages. Look below for the Dutch version.
> Deze e-mail is in twee talen. Kijk beneden voor de Nederlandse versie.
>
> Hello all,
> I'm a 13-years-old Dutch boy, and my English is not good. Now I have the
> chance to set up a Dutch python mailinglist. I know there are many Dutch
> python-users, but most of them know English very well. So will there be
> any users who'll subscribe to such a mailinglist, or will it remain very quiet?

Okay, I heard of you all that my English isn't really bad. Thanks for the
compliments everyone...

If I can't find the anwser on my current question, I'll ask it here.

regards,
Gerrit.

Suggestion: Dutch Python mailinglist [ In reply to ]
Paul Prescod wrote:

> Gerrit Holl wrote:
> >
> > I know there are many Dutch
> > python-users, but most of them know English very well.
>
> Dutch people use Python? Since when?

Me me me! Of course, there's this guy whose name starts with a G too. I
forget.. Gedo..Guddo? something like that. :)

> > Ik ben een Nederlandse jongen van 13 jaar, en mijn Engels is niet goed.
>
> Actually, I can pretty much read that without learning Dutch. It looks
> like English with some spelling mistakes. And no more typing mistakes than
> is typical for mailing lists.

Ja, maar zonder handige vertaling erbij is het veel moeilijker te
volgen.

Yes, but without useful translation it-with is it much difficulter to
follow.

Still, Dutch is one of the languages closest to English, especially
grammar-wise.

Regards,

Martijn