(I need a gui that can display a table with about 4000 lines without
crashing (not like Tk :))

Nahuel Greco.
pyGTK on Windows [ In reply to ]
I'll put in my plug for FOX:

http://www.cfdrc.com/FOX/fox.html

And though they're not quite ready yet, I'm working on the Python
wrappers as we speak. Should be available within a week.

pyGTK on Windows [ In reply to ]
Nahuel wrote:

> Hi, im about to do a cross-plataform GUI application in Linux and
> Windoze... i must
> choose the GUI toolkit.. my question is .. can i use pyGTK under
> Windows???
It's probably doable (as somebody's doing a port of GTK to Windoze -
check out www.gtk.org for the URL), but not worthy in my oppinion (the
port does not use Common Controls and the like).
A much better choice is wxPython http://alldunn.com/wxPython, which is
Python on top of wxWindows, a cross-platform GUI framework. You get
Windoze, Unix (Gtk and Motif), and Mac.

> (I need a gui that can display a table with about 4000 lines without
> crashing (not like Tk :))

there is a wxGrid widget in wxWindows.

Cheers,
Alex
--
Alex Maranda mailto: amaranda at spider dot com
Spider Software Ltd. Tel: +44 (0)131 4757036
pyGTK on Windows [ In reply to ]
Nahuel wrote:

> Hi, im about to do a cross-plataform GUI application in Linux and
> Windoze... i must
> choose the GUI toolkit.. my question is .. can i use pyGTK under
> Windows???
>
> (I need a gui that can display a table with about 4000 lines without
> crashing (not like Tk :))

wxPython is mapped onto GTK under Linux, native API under Windows and
has a 'grid' widget. If it crashes (suppose this) on 4000 lines, you
will have a patch within a day (as I understand).

Alexander
pyGTK on Windows [ In reply to ]
Nahuel wrote:

> Hi, im about to do a cross-plataform GUI application in Linux and
> Windoze... i must
> choose the GUI toolkit.. my question is .. can i use pyGTK under
> Windows???
>
> (I need a gui that can display a table with about 4000 lines without
> crashing (not like Tk :))

For now, GTK is strictly a unix toolkit. There are some ports to
windows, but most require an X server. I did run across one that didn't
require X, but I lost it's address. It was very alpha anyways.

I don't know what your best bet is, but try searching deja.com for keys
like "toolkit", "tkinter", "pyGTK" and "wxPython". That last one sounds
like it might be your answer, but I've never tried it.

-Jim
pyGTK on Windows [ In reply to ]
Nahuel <nahuel@interar.com.ar> wrote:
> Hi, im about to do a cross-plataform GUI application in Linux and
> Windoze... i must
> choose the GUI toolkit.. my question is .. can i use pyGTK under
> Windows???
>
> (I need a gui that can display a table with about 4000 lines without
> crashing (not like Tk :))

you do mean 4,000,000 lines, don't you?

or did you use a seriously broken version of Tk(inter)?

after all, if it's a bug in your program, changing the UI
toolkit won't help...

</F>
pyGTK on Windows [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 04 Jun 1999 10:27:48 -0300, Nahuel <nahuel@interar.com.ar> wrote:

>Hi, im about to do a cross-plataform GUI application in Linux and
>Windoze... i must
>choose the GUI toolkit.. my question is .. can i use pyGTK under
>Windows???

As someone has mentioned, even if it is made to work under windows, pygtk
would not have a windows look and feel. wxPython is probably your best bet
if tkinter is not acceptable.

Dave Cook
pyGTK on Windows [ In reply to ]
Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> Nahuel <nahuel@interar.com.ar> wrote:
> > Hi, im about to do a cross-plataform GUI application in Linux and
> > Windoze... i must
> > choose the GUI toolkit.. my question is .. can i use pyGTK under
> > Windows???
> >
> > (I need a gui that can display a table with about 4000 lines without
> > crashing (not like Tk :))
>
> you do mean 4,000,000 lines, don't you?
>
> or did you use a seriously broken version of Tk(inter)?
>
> after all, if it's a bug in your program, changing the UI
> toolkit won't help...
>
> </F>

What grid widget is in question?
pyGTK on Windows [ In reply to ]
"David M. Cook" wrote:

> As someone has mentioned, even if it is made to work under windows, pygtk
> would not have a windows look and feel.

Unless you use a Windows theme with GTK :-)

Jeff
--
J.W. Bizzaro mailto:bizzaro@bc.edu
Boston College Chemistry http://www.uml.edu/Dept/Chem/Bizzaro/
pyGTK on Windows [ In reply to ]
There's always: http://user.sgic.fi/~tml/gimp/win32/

The problem is that I doubt it will support Python right now. It could
probably be done, though, with some work on your part. :)

--
Jesse D. Sightler

"Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend's forehead."
- Chinese Proverb