Mailing List Archive

OT docs was: Re: pygtk documentation?

> This is of course an enormous task; even the c-gnome and c-gtk toolsets are
> largely undocumented. I'll probably start with the gnome canvas, as I am doing
> some work with it now. If anyone would like to help, let me know.

There a book out there. Developing Linux Applications with GTK+ and GDB
maybe that can give you some information?

Regards
Friedrich
OT docs was: Re: pygtk documentation? [ In reply to ]
Friedrich Dominicus writes:
> There a book out there. Developing Linux Applications with GTK+ and GDB
> maybe that can give you some information?

I started reading this book before doing any programming with gtk+
(from any language), and it was a tolerable introduction. It has
problems, but those can mostly be ignored easily. It is *not* a
reference manual, unfortunately, and the index is very incomplete.
The "GTK+ Reference Documentation Project" at www.gtk.org seems
questionable as an open source project: too many paragraphs of the
introduction to the project start with "Although the details have not
yet been finalized, ...". This is not likely to encourage
contributions. Contributors want to know what the license on their
contributions will be!
Someone with a bent toward writing documentation would find good
reference material on Gtk+ (in C or Python) would be well-received.
As would an up-to-date tutorial.

-Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr. <fdrake@acm.org>
OT docs was: Re: pygtk documentation? [ In reply to ]
> I started reading this book before doing any programming with gtk+
> (from any language), and it was a tolerable introduction. It has
> problems, but those can mostly be ignored easily. It is *not* a
> reference manual, unfortunately, and the index is very incomplete.
> The "GTK+ Reference Documentation Project" at www.gtk.org seems
> questionable as an open source project: too many paragraphs of the
> introduction to the project start with "Although the details have not
> yet been finalized, ...".

What does this have to do if the stuff is Open Source or not? I think
everbody knows that GTK is a fast moving target but why is it not open
then?

> This is not likely to encourage
> contributions. Contributors want to know what the license on their
> contributions will be!

Please explain, I can't follow anyway.

Regards
Friedrich
OT docs was: Re: pygtk documentation? [ In reply to ]
Friedrich Dominicus writes:
> What does this have to do if the stuff is Open Source or not? I think
> everbody knows that GTK is a fast moving target but why is it not open

The guys doing the Gtk+ Reference Documentation Project have not
said what the license on submitted material will be, but they're
asking for contributions. I think most people wanting to contribute
without getting paid will want to know that their contributions will
be available for everyone. Without the license, they can't know
that.
The "open-sourceness" of Gtk+ isn't in question or particularly
relevant; the documentation needs to be open source to get
contributors.

-Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr. <fdrake@acm.org>