Pythonware's site and reading the online PIL's draft documentation, I
find that the wmf format is not listed as one of the image file formats
supported by PIL. Has PIL dropped support for wmf?

Does PIL still support wmf graphics format? [ In reply to ]
tlng@phileo.com.my writes:
> Hello, I've been looking for a Python library that can help me convert
> wmf (windows metafiles) to gif. After searching in comp.lang.python's
> old archives, I came across some of PIL's old postings that seemed to
> indicate that wmf format is supported by PIL. However, after visiting
> Pythonware's site and reading the online PIL's draft documentation, I
> find that the wmf format is not listed as one of the image file formats
> supported by PIL. Has PIL dropped support for wmf?

According to the comments in WmfImagePlugin.py:

# notes:
# This code currently supports placable metafiles only, and
# just a few graphics operations are implemented.
#

As far as I know the WMF plugin was never completely implemented. If
you know a lot about WMF you could step up to the plate and make a
working WMF plugin, I'm sure the overly-busy F-bot would appreciate
it.
Does PIL still support wmf graphics format? [ In reply to ]

www.wotsit.org has a link to the WMF file format