https://xkcd.com/1306/
what does SIGIL mean?

Other xkcd that you like?
Re: xkcd.com/353 ( Flying with Python ) [ In reply to ]
HenHanna wrote:

> https://xkcd.com/1306/
> what does SIGIL mean?

I'd define a sigil as a mandatory symbol used to indicate the properties
of a name.

--
Blue-Maned_Hawk?shortens to Hawk?/blu.m?in.d?ak/?he/him/his/himself/Mr.
blue-maned_hawk.srht.site
Re: xkcd.com/353 ( Flying with Python ) [ In reply to ]
HenHanna <HenHanna@devnull.tb> writes:

> https://xkcd.com/1306/
> what does SIGIL mean?

A glyph used in magic. Or, for Perl, the symbol in front of a variable
name, such as $, @, and %.

Source:
https://perldoc.perl.org/perlglossary#sigil

Sigil is noun. Definitions:

A seal; a signet.
A sign or an image considered magical.
A seal; a signature.

Source:
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language,
5th Edition.
Re: xkcd.com/353 ( Flying with Python ) [ In reply to ]
Johanne Fairchild wrote:

> HenHanna <HenHanna@devnull.tb> writes:

>> https://xkcd.com/1306/
>> what does SIGIL mean?

> A glyph used in magic. Or, for Perl, the symbol in front of a variable
> name, such as $, @, and %.

> Source: https://perldoc.perl.org/perlglossary#sigil

> Sigil is noun. Definitions:

> A seal; a signet.
> A sign or an image considered magical.
> A seal; a signature.

> Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

omg... Sigil is a real word???

The word "sigil" comes from the Latin term "sigillum," which means "little sign." This Latin root is also the source of our English word "seal," making "sigil" and "seal" doublets.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sigil

__________________________words that we use in Programming but not Found in a real dictionary :

Camel case , int, char, min, len, def, elseif

cons, defun, cond, goto,
Re: xkcd.com/353 ( Flying with Python ) [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Apr 1, 2024 at 1:26?PM HenHanna via Python-list <
python-list@python.org> wrote:

> Johanne Fairchild wrote:
>
> > HenHanna <HenHanna@devnull.tb> writes:
>
> >> https://xkcd.com/1306/
> >> what does SIGIL mean?
>
> > A glyph used in magic. Or, for Perl, the symbol in front of a variable
> > name, such as $, @, and %.
>
> > Source: https://perldoc.perl.org/perlglossary#sigil
>
> > Sigil is noun. Definitions:
>
> > A seal; a signet.
> > A sign or an image considered magical.
> > A seal; a signature.
>
> > Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English
> Language, 5th Edition.
>

> omg... Sigil is a real word???
>

> The word "sigil" comes from the Latin term "sigillum," which means "little
> sign." This Latin root is also the source of our English word "seal,"
> making "sigil" and "seal" doublets.
>
> https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sigil

I understand "sigil" as referring to symbols occultists make up and use to
aid in their magick.
Re: xkcd.com/353 ( Flying with Python ) [ In reply to ]
> On Mar 30, 2024, at 22:09, Johanne Fairchild via Python-list <python-list@python.org> wrote:
>
> Sigil is noun. Definitions:
>
> A seal; a signet.
> A sign or an image considered magical.
> A seal; a signature.

Creating Sigils
The origin and design process informing Urbit's generative user avatar system, Sigils.
https://urbit.org/blog/creating-sigils

Implementation example:

https://github.com/textprotocol/sigil

Re: xkcd.com/353 ( Flying with Python ) [ In reply to ]

Re: xkcd.com/353 ( Flying with Python ) [ In reply to ]
On 3/29/2024 11:21 PM, HenHanna wrote:

> https://xkcd.com/353/      ( Flying with  Python )
>

> https://xkcd.com/1306/
                      what does  SIGIL   mean? -- (i got it...Thanks!)

> Other  xkcd   that you like?

my fav. one may be the one about [Bad-ass Hacker] [Nice-ass car].

Does he use Python? i wonder.

Re: xkcd.com/353 ( Flying with Python ) [ In reply to ]
Blue-Maned_Hawk wrote:

> HenHanna wrote:

>> https://xkcd.com/1306/
>> what does SIGIL mean?

> I'd define a sigil as a mandatory symbol used to indicate the properties
> of a name.

if i'm getting this right... Sigil is part of the language spec,

whereas (in Lisp in the old days), there was a convention of using var-name like *foo* to
indicate it's a dynamic variable.

and sometimes **foo** for ....

and %foo% or %%foo%% was used for ...........