Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: How/where to store calibration values - written by program A, read by program B [ In reply to ]
Peter J. Holzer <hjp-python@hjp.at> wrote:
> [-- text/plain, encoding quoted-printable, charset: us-ascii, 40 lines --]
>
> On 2023-12-29 09:01:24 -0800, Grant Edwards via Python-list wrote:

> > > It isn't. The variable is set purely in memory. This is a mechanism to
> > > share a value between multiple modules used by the same process, not to
> > > share between multiple processes (whether they run the same or different
> > > scripts)

> > > Nothing is ever written to a file.
> >
> > Then how does it help the OP to propogate clibration values from one
> > program to another or from one program run to the next run?
>
> It doesn't. See his second mail in this thread, where he explains it in
> a bit more detail. I think he might be a bit confused in his
> terminology.

If I am the OP (I suspect I may be) I have gone with JSON stored in a
file to provide what I need. The Python json package is very simple
to use and with an 'indent=' setting the resulting json is reasonably
human readable which is all I need.

Thus programs simply read the values from the json file into a
dictionary of dictionaries and the 'updater of values' program can
write them back after changes.

--
Chris Green
ยท