Mailing List Archive

Amy known issues with tkinter /ttk on latest MacOS?
I have a little app that I wrote ages ago (2015) using tkinter/ttk
and it just works. Or it did, up until the latest MacOS version upgrade
and now it has become very sporadic in response to mouse clicks.

For example I have a drop-down list and I can drop the list but
then it won't let me select an item. Or sometimes, the selected
item is highlighted but the corresponding action doesn't get fired.
It is intermittent which makes debugging it difficult. And it's
not just lists it also affects regular buttons as well.
Right clicks seem to work ok, it's only the left mouse button.
Also, I've just noticed that if I move the mouse slightly while
clicking that seems to work. There are no error/warning
messages in the Console.

I'm just wondered if this is a known issue, or just my setup?
Any suggestions welcomed.

Python version - 3.10.4
OS version - Sonoma 14.1
M1 Mac Mini, 16GB Ram

I could upgrade my Python version but I was planning on waiting
for the 3.13 release to finalize first. And I doubt if that's
the cause anyway.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site

Re: Amy known issues with tkinter /ttk on latest MacOS? [ In reply to ]
On 17/11/2023 03:38, Terry Reedy wrote:
> There have been other reports on the cpython issue tracker than Sonoma
> broke bits of tk behavior.
> https://github.com/python/cpython/issues?q=is%3Aissue+label%3AOS-mac+is%3Aclosed
> shows a couple

Thanks Terry, I had a browse and it seems I'm not alone. That's a relief.

I'll upgrade to 3.13 when it comes out and hopefully it will go
away. (Another suggestion was to use the homebrew python but I don't
like having any more homebrew stuff than is absolutely necessary!)

Meantime I'll just have to continue nudging the mouse as I click!

Alan G.