Mailing List Archive

1 2 3 4  View All
Re: Checking if email is valid [ In reply to ]
On 2023-11-07 08:40, Grant Edwards via Python-list wrote:
> If you, as a web developer, want the user to enter a text-message
> capable phone number, then ASK FOR THAT!

And you may as well ask if they even want you to send texts whether they
can technically receive them or not.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain
Vybe Networks Inc.

RE: Checking if email is valid [ In reply to ]
Text messages have taken a nasty turn and especially now that so many people
have unlimited messages per month in their plan. People overuse them to the
point where I opt out of some things like my home town notifications as they
bombard me with other things I am not interested in.

A major offender now is various forms of security which insist on not
letting you into a web site for your bank or other resources unless they
first send you an email or text message or perhaps a voice call with random
digits to use as verification. Try sitting somewhere with your phone muted
as all the beeps get annoying.

There are many reasons for preferences and I know many people find it harder
to reply to texts on their phone than to emails on a PC with a full
keyboard.

But all of this is not really here or there. We are talking more about user
interface design than about programming, let alone about Python.

What strikes me as a useful direction is for people to suggest what
resources and methods in the Python world are helpful. Examples would be
modules that have been tested and used that do things well such as
validating phone numbers or emails, perhaps flexibly so that if a validation
fails, they prompt the user asking if they are sure it is correct and maybe
offer to let them type it in again for verification. Other ideas as stated
recently are routines that don't just ask for a number but specify the
purpose, and perhaps messages about what circumstances would trigger a use
of the number, such as if fraud is detected, and get you to opt in or
refuse.

Reusable libraries of sorts, or good documentation of examples, would
perhaps help make User Interface design and customer satisfaction better and
show Python as a good way to do some kinds of programs.

In that light, I wonder if it makes sense to NOT insist people give you
their email address at all, and make it optional so they do not need to
provide you with something bogus just to go on.