Mailing List Archive

Using "textwrap" package for unwrappable languages (Japanese)
Hi,

I do use "textwrap" package to wrap longer texts passages. Works well
with English.
But the source string used is translated via gettext before it is
wrapped.

Using languages like Japanese or Chinese would IMHO result in unwrapped
text. Japanese rules do allow to break a line nearly where ever you
want.

How can I handle it with "textwrap"?

At runtime I don't know which language is really used. So I'm not able
to decide using "textwrap" or just inserting "\n" every 65 characters.

Another approach would be to let the translators handle the line breaks.
But I would like to avoid it because some of them don't know what "\n"
means and they don't know the length rule (in my case 65 characters).

Any ideas about it?

Kind
Christian
Re: Using "textwrap" package for unwrappable languages (Japanese) [ In reply to ]
On 2023-08-30 11:32:02 +0000, c.buhtz--- via Python-list wrote:
> I do use "textwrap" package to wrap longer texts passages. Works well with
> English.
> But the source string used is translated via gettext before it is wrapped.
>
> Using languages like Japanese or Chinese would IMHO result in unwrapped
> text. Japanese rules do allow to break a line nearly where ever you want.
>
> How can I handle it with "textwrap"?
>
> At runtime I don't know which language is really used. So I'm not able to
> decide using "textwrap" or just inserting "\n" every 65 characters.

I don't have a solution but want to add another caveat: Japanese
characters are usually double-width. So (unless your line length is 130
characters for English) you would want to add that line break every 32
characters. (unicodedata.east_asian_width() seems to be the canonical
name to find the width of a character, but it returns a code (like 'W'
or 'Na') not a number.)

hp

--
_ | Peter J. Holzer | Story must make more sense than reality.
|_|_) | |
__/ | http://www.hjp.at/ | challenge!"
Re: Using "textwrap" package for unwrappable languages (Japanese) [ In reply to ]
Dear Peter,

thanks for your reply. That is a very interesting topic.

I was a bit wrong. I realized that textwrap.wrap() do insert linebreaks
when "words" are to long. So even a string without any blank space well
get wrapped.

Am 30.08.2023 14:07 schrieb Peter J. Holzer via Python-list:
> another caveat: Japanese
> characters are usually double-width. So (unless your line length is 130
> characters for English) you would want to add that line break every 32
> characters.

I don't get your calculation here. Original line length is 130 but for
"double-with" characters you would break at 32 instead of 65 ?

> (

Then I will do something like this

unicodedata.east_asian_width(mystring[0])

W is "wide". But there is also "F" (full-width).
What is the difference between "wide" and "full-width"?

My application do support (currently 46) languages including Simplified
and Traditional Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese, Cyrylic.
Re: Using "textwrap" package for unwrappable languages (Japanese) [ In reply to ]
On 2023-08-30 13:18:25 +0000, c.buhtz--- via Python-list wrote:
> Am 30.08.2023 14:07 schrieb Peter J. Holzer via Python-list:
> > another caveat: Japanese characters are usually double-width. So
> > (unless your line length is 130 characters for English) you would
> > want to add that line break every 32 characters.
>
> I don't get your calculation here. Original line length is 130 but for
> "double-with" characters you would break at 32 instead of 65 ?

No, I wrote "*unless* your original line length was 130 characters".

I assumed that you want your line to be 65 latin characters wide since
this is what fits nicely on an A4 (or letter) page with a bit of a
margin on both sides. Or on an 80 character terminal screen or window.
And it's also generally considered to be a good line length for
readability.

But Asian "full width" or "wide" characters are twice as wide, so you
can fit only half as many in a single line. Hence 65 // 2 = 32.

But that was only my assumption. I considered it possible that you
started with 130 characters per line (many terminals back in the day had
a 132 character mode, and that's also approximately the line length in
landscape mode or when using a compressed typeface - so 132 is also a
common length limit, although rarely for text (too wide to read
comfortably) and more for code, tables, etc.), divided that by two and
arrived at 65 Japanese characters per line that way. So I mentioned that
to indicate that I had considered the possibility but concluded that it
probably wasn't what you meant.

(And as usual when I write a short sentence to clarify something
I wind up writing 4 paragraphs clarifying the clarification :-/)

> Then I will do something like this
>
> unicodedata.east_asian_width(mystring[0])
>
> W is "wide". But there is also "F" (full-width).
> What is the difference between "wide" and "full-width"?

I'm not an expert on Japanese typography by any means. But they have
some full width variants of latin characters and halfwidth variants of
katakana characters. I assume that the categories 'F' and 'H' are for
those, while "normal" Japanese characters are "W":

>>> unicodedata.east_asian_width("\N{DIGIT ONE}")
'Na'
>>> unicodedata.east_asian_width("\N{FULLWIDTH DIGIT ONE}")
'F'
>>> unicodedata.east_asian_width("\N{KATAKANA LETTER ME}")
'W'
>>> unicodedata.east_asian_width("\N{HALFWIDTH KATAKANA LETTER ME}")
'H'

hp