Can it be eliminated ?

Regards,
Dan
Re: What is this TEST BANK stuff ? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 22 Jun 2023 at 02:54, Dan Kolis via Python-list
<python-list@python.org> wrote:

> Why do we tolerate this spam ?
>
> this seems most likely a way to inject viruses into people's workflow.
>
> That wiped out usenet. Ahh without an explaination; ( and it woudl have to be a good one ); what is the purpsoe of this, why is it here ?
>
> Can it be eliminated ?

Yes, follow the mailing list instead of the newsgroup. Most spam
doesn't reach us over here at the list.

ChrisA
Re: What is this TEST BANK stuff ? [ In reply to ]
On 2023-06-21, Chris Angelico via Python-list <python-list@python.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jun 2023 at 02:54, Dan Kolis via Python-list
><python-list@python.org> wrote:
>>
>> Why do we tolerate this spam ?
>>
>> this seems most likely a way to inject viruses into people's workflow.
>>
>> That wiped out usenet. Ahh without an explaination; ( and it woudl have to be a good one ); what is the purpsoe of this, why is it here ?
>>
>> Can it be eliminated ?
>>

> Yes, follow the mailing list instead of the newsgroup. Most spam
> doesn't reach us over here at the list.

If you want to stick with NNTP as your access protocol, you can follow
the list on gmane:

nntp://news.gmane.io/gmane.comp.python.general

However, the list recently stopped accepting posts via gmane, so
you'll need to configure your nntp client to e-mail posts to that
group.
Re: What is this TEST BANK stuff ? [ In reply to ]
On 6/21/23 08:37, Dan Kolis wrote:
> Why do we tolerate this spam ?
>
> this seems most likely a way to inject viruses into people's workflow.
>
> That wiped out usenet. Ahh without an explaination; ( and it woudl have to be a good one ); what is the purpsoe of this, why is it here ?
>
> Can it be eliminated ?
>
> Regards,
> Dan

tl;dr It would be difficult to without changing the group to be
moderated. I am very new but am working to build up a list of known
spammers so I can auto-delete their nonsense from my machine.
Re: What is this TEST BANK stuff ? [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, 21 June 2023 at 15:38:00 UTC+2, Dan Kolis wrote:
> Why do we tolerate this spam ?
>
> this seems most likely a way to inject viruses into people's workflow.
>
> That wiped out usenet. Ahh without an explaination; ( and it woudl have to be a good one ); what is the purpsoe of this, why is it here ?
>
> Can it be eliminated ?
>
> Regards,
> Dan

Just call Google guys and ask, why usenet groups turned DejaNews, aquired by Google in the past
are not protected against massive spam by a single easy script
Re: What is this TEST BANK stuff ? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 7 Jul 2023 at 03:33, neopolitan via Python-list
<python-list@python.org> wrote:

> On 6/21/23 08:37, Dan Kolis wrote:
> > Why do we tolerate this spam ?
> >
> > this seems most likely a way to inject viruses into people's workflow.
> >
> > That wiped out usenet. Ahh without an explaination; ( and it woudl have to be a good one ); what is the purpsoe of this, why is it here ?
> >
> > Can it be eliminated ?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Dan
>
> tl;dr It would be difficult to without changing the group to be
> moderated. I am very new but am working to build up a list of known
> spammers so I can auto-delete their nonsense from my machine.

Yeah, a few people worked on that. Turns out though, you can save
yourself a LOT of trouble by letting the python-list admins manage
that blocklist :)

ChrisA