Mailing List Archive

Fwd: AUTO EDITOR DIDN'T WORK
Forwarding to list

Okay thanks. Meanwhile, I am not tech savvy so I may not say much here.
I followed all the commands as given on the website to install auto
editor standing it on python but after rendering the XML file, I
couldn't open it with my Davinci Resolve 18. I uninstalled and
reinstalled about twice and still no success hence I uninstalled it.

On Mon, 12 Jun 2023, 23:33 Alan Gauld via Python-list,
<python-list@python.org <mailto:python-list@python.org>> wrote:

On 12/06/2023 10:26, Real Live FootBall Tv via Python-list wrote:

> I did it because I was going to use it with another application, A
VIDEO
> EDITING APP, Auto EDITOR but it didn't work for some reasons
unknown to me.

You need to define "didn't work"
Did it work as a python interpreter?
ie. Did you get a >>> prompt in a terminal?
and without involvement from your video editor?
If so, what did you do to link it to the video editor?
And what was the result?

Or did Python not even start? How did you try to use it?
What OS are you on? Did the installer run OK?

-- Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site
http://www.alan-g.me.uk/ <http://www.alan-g.me.uk/>
http://www.amazon.com/author/alan_gauld
<http://www.amazon.com/author/alan_gauld>
Follow my photo-blog on Flickr at:
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/alangauldphotos>

Re: Fwd: AUTO EDITOR DIDN'T WORK [ In reply to ]
On 6/13/2023 5:32 PM, Alan Gauld via Python-list wrote:
> Okay thanks. Meanwhile, I am not tech savvy so I may not say much here.
> I followed all the commands as given on the website to install auto
> editor standing it on python but after rendering the XML file, I
> couldn't open it with my Davinci Resolve 18. I uninstalled and
> reinstalled about twice and still no success hence I uninstalled it.

I don't understand when you talk about an "XML file". Auto-editor works
on video files, or at least .mp4 files, which are not XML files.
Davinci Resolve does have some ability to interoperate with other
editors using XML in some way (according to Wikipedia,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DaVinci_Resolve) but that's a different
thing completely.

I also don't know what you mean by "after rendering the XML file" since
from what I can see auto-edit doesn't render anything.

The simplest thing that auto-editor can do is to cut out long periods of
dead space, e.g., from an mp4 file. Their documentation shows how to do
it. If it were me, I would run the example command line on a sample mp4
file, then see what it looked like in Davinci. Is that what you did?
It should be the same video but with some dead space removed.

(Note that I'm speaking from a place of no experience with either of
these software packages; just looking at what auto-edit claims to do).

Re: Fwd: AUTO EDITOR DIDN'T WORK [ In reply to ]
On 6/13/23 19:10, Thomas Passin via Python-list wrote:
> On 6/13/2023 5:32 PM, Alan Gauld via Python-list wrote:
>> Okay thanks. Meanwhile, I am not tech savvy so I may not say much here.
>> I followed all the commands as given on the website to install auto
>> editor standing it on python but after rendering the XML file, I
>> couldn't open it with my Davinci Resolve 18. I uninstalled and
>> reinstalled about twice and still no success hence I uninstalled it.
>
> I don't understand when you talk about an "XML file". Auto-editor works
> on video files, or at least .mp4 files, which are not XML files. Davinci
> Resolve does have some ability to interoperate with other editors using
> XML in some way (according to Wikipedia,
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DaVinci_Resolve) but that's a different
> thing completely.
>
> I also don't know what you mean by "after rendering the XML file" since
> from what I can see auto-edit doesn't render anything.
>
> The simplest thing that auto-editor can do is to cut out long periods of
> dead space, e.g., from an mp4 file.  Their documentation shows how to do
> it.  If it were me, I would run the example command line on a sample mp4
> file, then see what it looked like in Davinci.  Is that what you did? It
> should be the same video but with some dead space removed.
>
> (Note that I'm speaking from a place of no experience with either of
> these software packages; just looking at what auto-edit claims to do).

auto-edit? Never heard of it. xml? I've written hundred of kilobytes of
it in plain old geany. I didn't know there was a special editor for xml.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
- Louis D. Brandeis

Re: Fwd: AUTO EDITOR DIDN'T WORK [ In reply to ]
On 6/13/2023 9:43 PM, gene heskett via Python-list wrote:
> On 6/13/23 19:10, Thomas Passin via Python-list wrote:
>> On 6/13/2023 5:32 PM, Alan Gauld via Python-list wrote:
>>> Okay thanks. Meanwhile, I am not tech savvy so I may not say much here.
>>> I followed all the commands as given on the website to install auto
>>> editor standing it on python but after rendering the XML file, I
>>> couldn't open it with my Davinci Resolve 18. I uninstalled and
>>> reinstalled about twice and still no success hence I uninstalled it.
>>
>> I don't understand when you talk about an "XML file". Auto-editor
>> works on video files, or at least .mp4 files, which are not XML files.
>> Davinci Resolve does have some ability to interoperate with other
>> editors using XML in some way (according to Wikipedia,
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DaVinci_Resolve) but that's a different
>> thing completely.
>>
>> I also don't know what you mean by "after rendering the XML file"
>> since from what I can see auto-edit doesn't render anything.
>>
>> The simplest thing that auto-editor can do is to cut out long periods
>> of dead space, e.g., from an mp4 file.  Their documentation shows how
>> to do it.  If it were me, I would run the example command line on a
>> sample mp4 file, then see what it looked like in Davinci.  Is that
>> what you did? It should be the same video but with some dead space
>> removed.
>>
>> (Note that I'm speaking from a place of no experience with either of
>> these software packages; just looking at what auto-edit claims to do).
>>

> auto-edit? Never heard of it. xml? I've written hundred of kilobytes of
> it in plain old geany. I didn't know there was a special editor for xml.

Oh, there are, there are - mostly intended for document authoring, I think.

RE: Fwd: AUTO EDITOR DIDN'T WORK [ In reply to ]
I think it is time to ask this topic to go find some other place to talk to itself.

I have seen NO reason to think any question about problems with Python has been asked. Not properly.

It sounds like someone messed up an installation, perhaps of other programs like an editor and some unspecified thing does not work. I suggest they start over and be careful so that if some specific version of Python is needed, it gets installed in the right place and so on. We here cannot be expected to have much idea about programs that perhaps we do not use.

Python can be used to build an editor, or parts it runs when needed, and it can be used to create or consume XML, or do things with audio formats. So can many other languages. If it was needed here and the setup was wrong or sabotaged, that is not something easily handled here.

Or did I miss something? If so, I know others here also missed it too.

If there is a more specific problem like some lines of actual python code not doing what was expected, please share that specifically with enough detail.

Re: Fwd: AUTO EDITOR DIDN'T WORK [ In reply to ]
I have followed the instructions given on how to install the app. What I
needed was an application to cut of silence from my video and I saw auto
editor demonstrated as one of the applications that could do that. It does
cut the silent areas of an MP4 format video for instance but would save it
as a XML file which in turn would be exported to the video editor that
supports the output from the auto editor app. The one who demonstrated it
in a video used Davinci Resolve to import the XML file, I followed same
process but I couldn't get same result.
Thanks for all your contributions.

On Wed, 14 Jun 2023, 04:52 AVI GROSS via Python-list, <

Re: Fwd: AUTO EDITOR DIDN'T WORK [ In reply to ]
On 15/06/2023 08:58, Real Live FootBall Tv via Python-list wrote:
> I have followed the instructions given on how to install the app. What I
> needed was an application to cut of silence from my video and I saw auto
> editor demonstrated as one of the applications that could do that. It does
> cut the silent areas of an MP4 format video for instance but would save it
> as a XML file which in turn would be exported to the video editor that
> supports the output from the auto editor app. The one who demonstrated it
> in a video used Davinci Resolve to import the XML file, I followed same
> process but I couldn't get same result.

It looks like you have three parts to this puzzle:
- auto-editor
- resolve
- Python

It's not clear which part isn't working but you can at
least test Python is working after you install it
by running the interpreter in a console/terminal
window by typing python at the command prompt.

If you get the Python prompt:

Then Python is installed OK.

After that it's back into auto-editor and resolve and this is
not the best place to get answers for those. Resolve at least
has an active support forum, so I'd start there(assuming
python works!)

Re: Fwd: AUTO EDITOR DIDN'T WORK [ In reply to ]
Thanks, I'll look into it.