Mailing List Archive

Pip Error
I encountered an error while attempting to install pip using the terminal.
The exact error message I received is:

"An error occurred during configuration: option use-feature: invalid
choice: '2020-resolver' (choose from 'fast-deps', 'truststore',
'no-binary-enable-wheel-cache')"

Here are the steps I followed and the context of my system:

Operating System: Windows 11 Python Version: 3.11.3 I executed the command
in the terminal to install pip, but it resulted in the aforementioned error
message. This error specifically references the '2020-resolver' choice
within the 'use-feature' option. An error occurred during configuration:
option use-feature: invalid choice: '2020-resolver' (choose from
'fast-deps', 'truststore', 'no-binary-enable-wheel-cache')

I have already attempted the following troubleshooting steps without
success:

Checked my internet connectivity to ensure it was stable and not causing
any issues. Verified that I have the latest version of pip installed, as
well as the latest version of Python. Tried using alternative commands,
such as using the --upgrade flag or specifying a specific pip version, but
the error persists. Looked for any recent system updates or changes that
could have caused this issue, but found none. I'm uncertain about the cause
of this error and how to resolve it. Any insights or suggestions would be
greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!
Re: Pip Error [ In reply to ]
> On 17 May 2023, at 17:26, Aysu Mammadli <aysumammedlii7@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> ?I encountered an error while attempting to install pip using the terminal.
> The exact error message I received is:
>
> "An error occurred during configuration: option use-feature: invalid
> choice: '2020-resolver' (choose from 'fast-deps', 'truststore',
> 'no-binary-enable-wheel-cache')"
>
> Here are the steps I followed and the context of my system:
>
> Operating System: Windows 11 Python Version: 3.11.3 I executed the command
> in the terminal to install pip, but it resulted in the aforementioned error
> message. This error specifically references the '2020-resolver' choice
> within the 'use-feature' option. An error occurred during configuration:
> option use-feature: invalid choice: '2020-resolver' (choose from
> 'fast-deps', 'truststore', 'no-binary-enable-wheel-cache')
>
> I have already attempted the following troubleshooting steps without
> success:
>
> Checked my internet connectivity to ensure it was stable and not causing
> any issues. Verified that I have the latest version of pip installed, as
> well as the latest version of Python. Tried using alternative commands,
> such as using the --upgrade flag or specifying a specific pip version, but
> the error persists. Looked for any recent system updates or changes that
> could have caused this issue, but found none. I'm uncertain about the cause
> of this error and how to resolve it. Any insights or suggestions would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Pip is installed by default with the python.org kits.
I am not sure what the situation is for the app store python.

Can you run python it self?

Does one of these work for you?

py -m pip
python -m pip

If so you have pip installed.

Barry

Re: Pip Error [ In reply to ]
On 5/17/2023 10:54 AM, Aysu Mammadli wrote:
> I encountered an error while attempting to install pip using the terminal.
> The exact error message I received is:
>
> "An error occurred during configuration: option use-feature: invalid
> choice: '2020-resolver' (choose from 'fast-deps', 'truststore',
> 'no-binary-enable-wheel-cache')"
>
> Here are the steps I followed and the context of my system:
>
> Operating System: Windows 11 Python Version: 3.11.3 I executed the command
> in the terminal to install pip, but it resulted in the aforementioned error
> message. This error specifically references the '2020-resolver' choice
> within the 'use-feature' option. An error occurred during configuration:
> option use-feature: invalid choice: '2020-resolver' (choose from
> 'fast-deps', 'truststore', 'no-binary-enable-wheel-cache')
>
> I have already attempted the following troubleshooting steps without
> success:
>
> Checked my internet connectivity to ensure it was stable and not causing
> any issues. Verified that I have the latest version of pip installed, as
> well as the latest version of Python. Tried using alternative commands,
> such as using the --upgrade flag or specifying a specific pip version, but
> the error persists. Looked for any recent system updates or changes that
> could have caused this issue, but found none. I'm uncertain about the cause
> of this error and how to resolve it. Any insights or suggestions would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you in advance for your assistance!

I don't remember needing to install pip with Windows installations. I've
got 3.11.3 on Windows 10. The installer and source distro for Windows
both come with the ensurepip module:

<python> -m ensurepip

will install pip, where <python> is the name of the version of Python
you want to run. I assume (but don't know for sure) that the standard
installer runs ensurepip as part of its work.

How (and why) did you try to install it?

The error is coming from Lib\site-packages\pip\_internal\cli\parser.py.
It's possible that some inconsistency has crept in between the allowed
options and the ones that are given to the parser.