these fine companies.)

Thanks,

--jim
Maximize Benefit when Purchasing Learning Python [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 28 Apr 1999 jkraai@murl.com wrote:

> How can I help whom when purchasing Python books?

I'll dare to speak for Mark, and say that you should feel free to send
either Mark or I (or both) checks for any amount whatsoever. Skip the
middleman. Save trees -- don't buy the book, just send us cash. Don't
hesitate for a minute.

David Ascher
Maximize Benefit when Purchasing Learning Python [ In reply to ]
I'll, eh, need valid street addresses for the both of you.
<nervously wrings hands in anticipation> *heh heh*

I just really like the whole Python experience. Thanks for
making my day!

--jim

Maximize Benefit when Purchasing Learning Python [ In reply to ]
David Ascher <da@ski.org> wrote:
: On Wed, 28 Apr 1999 jkraai@murl.com wrote:

:> How can I help whom when purchasing Python books?

: I'll dare to speak for Mark, and say that you should feel free to send
: either Mark or I (or both) checks for any amount whatsoever. Skip the
: middleman. Save trees -- don't buy the book, just send us cash. Don't
: hesitate for a minute.

Better yet. Secure web credit-card transfers? Saves the paper from the
envelopes and checks/bills. ;)

-Arcege
Maximize Benefit when Purchasing Learning Python [ In reply to ]
Hi All--

"Michael P. Reilly" wrote:

> David Ascher <da@ski.org> wrote:
> : On Wed, 28 Apr 1999 jkraai@murl.com wrote:
>
> :> How can I help whom when purchasing Python books?
>
> : I'll dare to speak for Mark, and say that you should feel free to send
> : either Mark or I (or both) checks for any amount whatsoever. Skip the
> : middleman. Save trees -- don't buy the book, just send us cash. Don't
> : hesitate for a minute.
>
> Better yet. Secure web credit-card transfers? Saves the paper from the
> envelopes and checks/bills. ;)
>
> -Arcege

People wonder what attracts me to Python. I claim it's the genteel
comportment, sophisticated manner, and air of refined ennui projected by
the participants in the online discussion.

<to-say-nothing-of-the-pure-unadulterated-greed>-ly y'rs,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
Callware Technologies, Inc.
ivanlan@callware.com
http://www.pauahtun.org
See also:
Army Signal Corps: Cu Chi, Class of '70
Maximize Benefit when Purchasing Learning Python [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, Michael P. Reilly wrote:

> David Ascher <da@ski.org> wrote:
> : On Wed, 28 Apr 1999 jkraai@murl.com wrote:
>
> :> How can I help whom when purchasing Python books?
>
> : I'll dare to speak for Mark, and say that you should feel free to send
> : either Mark or I (or both) checks for any amount whatsoever. Skip the
> : middleman. Save trees -- don't buy the book, just send us cash. Don't
> : hesitate for a minute.
>
> Better yet. Secure web credit-card transfers? Saves the paper from the
> envelopes and checks/bills. ;)

If the amounts involved are enough to warrant the infrastructure costs,
I'll be glad to oblige.

I somehow think I didn't make a huge commitment in that last sentence.

--david
Maximize Benefit when Purchasing Learning Python [ In reply to ]
David Ascher wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Apr 1999 jkraai@murl.com wrote:
>
> How can I help whom when purchasing Python books?
>
> I'll dare to speak for Mark, and say that you should feel free to send
> either Mark or I (or both) checks for any amount whatsoever. Skip the
> middleman. Save trees -- don't buy the book, just send us cash. Don't
> hesitate for a minute.

What he said. (Though you could save another
middleman by making the check out to my wife.)

--Mark Lutz (http://rmi.net/~lutz)
Maximize Benefit when Purchasing Learning Python [ In reply to ]
jkraai@murl.com wrote:

>How can I help whom when purchasing Python books?
>
>Haven't seen enough about this on the list lately & thought
>it should come up again.
>
>I see on python.org a link to Amazon. I've seen in the
>past that such links can generate a percentage to the
>linking page.
>
>If I buy via this link, will python.org get something from
>Amazon?
>
>If not, who does/can? If python.org can't get it, I'd like to
>see that Mark Lutz gets a little more compensation for
>his efforts.

I'd rather direct it to myself, personally. Mark Lutz, God bless him,
isn't starving, so far as I know, so I'll do myself a turn, to keep my
own family from starving. I suspect he gets a per-copy fee based on
sales -- regardless who sells them.

What about python.org? What does their balance sheet look like? Does
anybody know or is this just an assumption that they are living on
barely-get-along street? Are they being funded by the Chinese military
like the US Democrat party? Well, beggars get what they ask for --
pennies from a few folk. Do beggars do better in the Nederlands? (as
opposed to the US?) What would a python app looked like that graphed,
with tkinter, relative giving among the Dutch, Europeans overall, and
Americans? Could Canadians make up any shortfall? Could we invoice the
Australian government for a million or so and not have them notice?

www.fatbrain.com wants $23.95 for "Learning Python." I don't know who
runs this outfit, but they look suspiciously like an adjunct of
amazon.com or barnesandnoble.com. I saw an ad for this outfit in the
latest PC Magazine, so I thought I'd check them out. Adios,
fatbrain.com.
www.bookpool.com wants $19.95 for "Learning Python."
www.amazon.com wants $17.97 for "Learning Python."
www.barnesandnoble.com wants $23.96 for "Learning Python."

I was shocked that amazon.com beat bookpool.com on a computer book --
especially since I had ordered copies from bookpool.com and thought my
shit didn't stink. Turns out it does. Shockeroo!
Maximize Benefit when Purchasing Learning Python [ In reply to ]
Mark,

I'll make the check out to your wife if you promise not
to tell mine.

All fun aside, can somebody give me a substantive answer?

I'd really like to make sure that somebody I 'know' is the
middele man--or middle wife. I really was actually looking
for an answer to my question.

I'll gladly send you a check, but I'd rather not do it
explicitly, rather as a part of a purchase of three copies
of this book to evangelize my coworkers.

Help me do somebody a favor & let others know how we
collectively can do _you_ a bigger favor than merely
buying the book.

I tell you what, if you've got the stones to send me your
address off-list, you'll get a check. If you think Mr.
Ascher is worth it--and I don't doubt it for a moment--if
he'll provide me with the same, I'll send him one, too.

If Chris or Tim'd ever write a book ... Guido? c'mon.
Does anybody know what Guido desires most in life? I
probably can't buy it today, but it'd be nice to know so
I could taunt him with little plastic replicas.

somebody-stop-me'ly y'rs,

--jim

P.S. I _like_ the cover.

Maximize Benefit when Purchasing Learning Python [ In reply to ]
> I tell you what, if you've got the stones to send me your
> address off-list, you'll get a check. If you think Mr.
> Ascher is worth it--and I don't doubt it for a moment--if
> he'll provide me with the same, I'll send him one, too.

You're not serious, are you? Anyway, ask Mark about the first part about
being worth it, but the second part is:

522A Green St
San Francisco CA 94133

Shameless, I know -- but what if you're one of the eBay founders and the
check will cover my kid's tuition in the year 2015? I'd hate myself for
not answering =). If you'd rather buy me a drink at the next conference,
that'd be fine too. I already owe Jeff Bauer and Fredrik Lundh drinks, so
we may have to start maintaining a database...

[.Off-topic: send in abstracts for the next Python conference! It'll be
fun! Mark and I will meet for the third time! We'll dedicate books for
free! We'll meet more folks who don't look like what we thought they
looked like! Information is on www.python.org]

More seriously, on the topic of where to buy -- I tell people to buy it
through the PSA because 1) it's cheap and efficient, and 2) the PSA might
get some $'s from it. I don't know how much, but it's statistically
guaranteed to be more than through any other distribution channel. Note
that if you really want to have more cents come to Mark and I, you should
buy it direct from ORA. But most of the difference in the price goes to
ORA, not to us =).

What I most want from readers is that you write good programs, evangelize
the use of Python where needed and as appropriate, and help Python grow.
While you're at it, join the PSA and/or the Python Consortium. If, as a
side effect, more companies hire us as trainers or consultants, that's
fine too.

--David Ascher
Maximize Benefit when Purchasing Learning Python [ In reply to ]
[.Jim Kraii, futilely trying to put all fun aside in hopes of getting
a substantive answer that doesn't upset anyone's wife]
> Does anybody know what Guido desires most in life?

My guess is more time, running a close second to an attractive pair of
American glasses. Although one more post about how slow Python is, and I
expect he'll most want to be run over by a fast bus <wink>.

all-kidding-aside-i-accept-checks-too-ly y'rs - tim
Maximize Benefit when Purchasing Learning Python [ In reply to ]
Ivan Van Laningham wrote:

> Hi All--
>
> "Michael P. Reilly" wrote:
> >
> > David Ascher <da@ski.org> wrote:
> > : On Wed, 28 Apr 1999 jkraai@murl.com wrote:
> >
> > :> How can I help whom when purchasing Python books?
> >
> > : I'll dare to speak for Mark, and say that you should feel free to send
> > : either Mark or I (or both) checks for any amount whatsoever. Skip the
> > : middleman. Save trees -- don't buy the book, just send us cash. Don't
> > : hesitate for a minute.
> >
> > Better yet. Secure web credit-card transfers? Saves the paper from the
> > envelopes and checks/bills. ;)
> >
> > -Arcege
>
> People wonder what attracts me to Python. I claim it's the genteel
> comportment, sophisticated manner, and air of refined ennui projected by
> the participants in the online discussion.
>
> <to-say-nothing-of-the-pure-unadulterated-greed>-ly y'rs,
> Ivan

I hereby wish to say you people are welcome to send me checks and money
and stuff too. I don't care so much about trees as you all do
apparently, so free books are welcome as well. :)

But, you might say, Martijn, you haven't done a thing that makes me want
to send you money and gifts! Well, this is no problem -- you can send
them to me anyway.

I-love-this-newsgroup-ly yours,

Martijn