is left in the hands of TAXPAYERS, God only knows what they do with it. Bake
it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs.
-- Dave Barry
Re: Application for developer status [ In reply to ]
"Eric S. Raymond" wrote:

> My only immediate plan for what to do with developer access is to add
> the browser-launch capability previously discussed on this list. My
> general interest is in improving the standard class library,
> especially in the areas of Internet-protocol support (urllib, ftp,
> telnet, pop, imap, smtp, nntplib, etc.) and mini-language toolkits and
> frameworks (shlex. netrc, Cmd, ConfigParser).

As an aside: I would be pumpld about getting a generic lexer into the
Python distribution. Greg Ewing was working on one and there are various
others out there.
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg/python/Plex/
The calculus and the rich body of mathematical analysis to which it
gave rise made modern science possible, but it was the algorithm that
made the modern world possible.
- The Advent of the Algorithm, by David Berlinski
Re: Application for developer status [ In reply to ]
Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>:
> As an aside: I would be pumpld about getting a generic lexer into the
> Python distribution. Greg Ewing was working on one and there are various
> others out there.
> http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg/python/Plex/

Yes, this would be a good thing. I'm also talking with John Aycock about
his elegant SPARK toolkit for generating Earley-algorithm parsers. Once that
comes out of beta, I would consider it a core-library candidate.
--

No matter how one approaches the figures, one is forced to the rather
startling conclusion that the use of firearms in crime was very much
RE: Application for developer status [ In reply to ]
[Eric S. Raymond]
> May I have developer status on the SourceForge CVS, please? I maintain
> two standard-library modules (shlex and netrc) and have been involved
> with the development of several others (including Cmd, smtp, httplib, and
> multifile).
>
> My only immediate plan for what to do with developer access is to add
> the browser-launch capability previously discussed on this list. My
> general interest is in improving the standard class library,
> especially in the areas of Internet-protocol support (urllib, ftp,
> telnet, pop, imap, smtp, nntplib, etc.) and mini-language toolkits and
> frameworks (shlex. netrc, Cmd, ConfigParser).
>
> If the Internet-protocol support in the library were broken out as a
> development category, I would be willing to fill the patch-handler
> slot for it.

Eric, I just added you -- go nuts! Don't forget your docstrings, and try
hard not to add new modules Guido will hate <0.9 wink -- but new modules do
merit python-dev discussion first>.

Ah, one more: the layout of the "Edit Member Permissions" admin page on SF
is completely screwed up for me, so you got whatever the default permissions
are. This looked fine to me a few days ago, but we've added several members
since then.

Would one of the admins using Netscape please check that page for sane
display? I can't yet tell whether it's an IE5 or SF problem.
RE: Application for developer status [ In reply to ]
Tim Peters writes:
> Ah, one more: the layout of the "Edit Member Permissions" admin page on SF
> is completely screwed up for me, so you got whatever the default permissions
> are. This looked fine to me a few days ago, but we've added several members
> since then.
>
> Would one of the admins using Netscape please check that page for sane
> display? I can't yet tell whether it's an IE5 or SF problem.

It looks fine to me -- you may be plagued by a slow network
connection. ;)
I've updated Eric's permissions so he can use the patch manager
properly.

-Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr. <fdrake at beopen.com>