help a lot if the comments could say how to build it or contain a link
to instructions on how to build it.

Jeremy
Re: how do I build pyexpat? [ In reply to ]
I don't know where you got your expat or how new it is, but with the one
I got from the xml-sig, I can type

"make libexpat.a"

The calculus and the rich body of mathematical analysis to which it
gave rise made modern science possible, but it was the algorithm that
made the modern world possible.
- The Advent of the Algorithm (pending), by David Berlinski
Re: how do I build pyexpat? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jun 28, 2000 at 09:21:41PM -0700, Paul Prescod wrote:
>I don't know where you got your expat or how new it is, but with the one
>I got from the xml-sig, I can type
>"make libexpat.a"

That's a patch I made to the Makefile and submitted to James Clark.
For Modules/Setup.in, I can change it to explicitly list the 8 files
from Expat that need to be linked to. The problem is that one of the
files will vary:

# Use one of the next two lines; unixfilemap is better if it works.
FILEMAP_OBJ=xmlwf/unixfilemap.o
#FILEMAP_OBJ=xmlwf/readfilemap.o

--amk
Re: how do I build pyexpat? [ In reply to ]
Andrew Kuchling writes:
> That's a patch I made to the Makefile and submitted to James Clark.
> For Modules/Setup.in, I can change it to explicitly list the 8 files
> from Expat that need to be linked to. The problem is that one of the

It's not in the stable version I picked up last night; I'll dig up
the experimental version today.

-Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr. <fdrake at beopen.com>
BeOpen PythonLabs Team Member
Re: how do I build pyexpat? [ In reply to ]

FLD> Andrew Kuchling writes:
>> That's a patch I made to the Makefile and submitted to James
>> Clark. For Modules/Setup.in, I can change it to explicitly list
>> the 8 files from Expat that need to be linked to. The problem is
>> that one of the

FLD> It's not in the stable version I picked up last night; I'll
FLD> dig up the experimental version today.

I downloaded version 1.1 from the expat home page. The URL for the
download is ftp://ftp.jclark.com/pub/xml/expat.zip. This version
hasn't changed in the last two weeks.

The instructions Fred include worked almost just right. I checked in
the corrected ar command and it looks good.

Jeremy
Re: how do I build pyexpat? [ In reply to ]
Jeremy Hylton writes:
> The instructions Fred include worked almost just right. I checked in
> the corrected ar command and it looks good.

That's what I get for typing in the dark on a dark keyboard. ;)

-Fred