Mailing List Archive

RE: [Patches] Re: Let's use the SourceForge Patch Manager
Tim Peters writes:
> Fred, would you please explain how that works or where that was set up?
> I've puttered away many hours now playing with the SourceForge facilities

From the "project page", go to "Project Admin" on the left
navigation bar, then "Edit Public Info" at the top of the page. There
are places to edit some email addresses near the bottom of the page.

-Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr. <fdrake at beopen.com>
BeOpen PythonLabs Team Member
RE: [Patches] Re: Let's use the SourceForge Patch Manager [ In reply to ]
[Fred L. Drake, Jr.]
> From the "project page", go to "Project Admin" on the left
> navigation bar, then "Edit Public Info" at the top of the page. There
> are places to edit some email addresses near the bottom of the page.

Aha! The one & only link I had never clicked -- I bet I could have figured
that out myself in another week or two <wink>. Thank you.

Now why do we have "Use Bug Tracker" checked? If nobody objects, I'll turn
that off -- we're still doing bugs w/ Jitterbug on python.org.

ten-stop-shopping-ly y'rs - tim
RE: [Patches] Re: Let's use the SourceForge Patch Manager [ In reply to ]
[Guido van Rossum]
> The address for New Bugs is currently set to guido@beopen.com. I
> suppose I should set it to pythoneers@beopen.com or even to
> python-dev@python.org?

Since we (PythonLabs, last week) decided to continue using Jitterbug (on
python.org) for now, should the SF Bug Manager even be enabled? If it is
enabled, and we are using Jitterbug, then someone has to own reentering SF
bugs into the Jitterbug system.

obviously y'rs - tim
Re: [Patches] Re: Let's use the SourceForge Patch Manager [ In reply to ]
> Since we (PythonLabs, last week) decided to continue using Jitterbug (on
> python.org) for now, should the SF Bug Manager even be enabled? If it is
> enabled, and we are using Jitterbug, then someone has to own reentering SF
> bugs into the Jitterbug system.

OK, I've disabled the SF bugs manager. There were two bugs submitted
so far. I've assigned one to you (about os.listdir on Windows) and
one to MAL (about -U vs. exec/eval). You two can take care of
entering these into JB. You can still access the bugs database via
this URL:

https://sourceforge.net/bugs/?group_id=5470

Re: [Patches] Re: Let's use the SourceForge Patch Manager [ In reply to ]
I don't want to be paranoid, but are we putting any important
information into SourceForge that we are not backing up elsewhere? I
mean okay, we've all got CVS dumps, but if it went away (DOJ antitrust
suit...) would we have backups of our patches, bugs, wish lists and so
forth? I hope that's a criteria in deciding what services to move to
SourceForge. I am in the business of preserving investments in data and
of telling customers to avoid software that does not keep them in
complete control of their data. SF makes me nervous that way....

The calculus and the rich body of mathematical analysis to which it
gave rise made modern science possible, but it was the algorithm that
made the modern world possible.
- The Advent of the Algorithm (pending), by David Berlinski
Re: [Patches] Re: Let's use the SourceForge Patch Manager [ In reply to ]
[PP]
> I don't want to be paranoid, but are we putting any important
> information into SourceForge that we are not backing up elsewhere? I
> mean okay, we've all got CVS dumps, but if it went away (DOJ antitrust
> suit...) would we have backups of our patches, bugs, wish lists and so
> forth? I hope that's a criteria in deciding what services to move to
> SourceForge. I am in the business of preserving investments in data and
> of telling customers to avoid software that does not keep them in
> complete control of their data. SF makes me nervous that way....

Good point.

SF has a way to get a nightly snapshot of the CVS tree. We should
suggest that they provide snapshots (in XML of course!) of the bugs
database too.

Note that I have no bandwidth left to communicate to SF folks so this
is up to the user community. (I'm also very optimistic and trusting
in nature. :-)

Re: [Patches] Re: Let's use the SourceForge Patch Manager [ In reply to ]
I think you are being paranoid :-)

Consider that this same issue applies to all 5900 projects and 38000
developers at SourceForge. VA Linux has a brand identity entirely built on
the trust and support of the Linux (and Open Source) communities. If they
blow away that trust, they are simply screwed.

That said: it would still be a good thing to have export capabilities. I
recall that certain portions of the data (the Trove map?) can be exported in
XML format. I don't recall the magic URL for that, however.

Cheers,
-g

Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/
RE: [Patches] Re: Let's use the SourceForge Patch Manager [ In reply to ]
[Guido]
> OK, I've disabled the SF bugs manager. There were two bugs submitted
> so far. I've assigned one to you (about os.listdir on Windows) and
> one to MAL (about -U vs. exec/eval). You two can take care of
> entering these into JB. You can still access the bugs database via
> this URL:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/bugs/?group_id=5470

I moved "my" bug to Jitterbug, and moved Marc-Andre's too to save him the
bother. Marked them "Closed" and "Duplicate" on SourceForge, so that if we
reenable bug management there someday they won't confuse us.
Re: [Patches] Re: Let's use the SourceForge Patch Manager [ In reply to ]
greg wrote:
> I think you are being paranoid :-)
>
> Consider that this same issue applies to all 5900 projects and 38000
> developers at SourceForge. VA Linux has a brand identity entirely built on
> the trust and support of the Linux (and Open Source) communities. If they
> blow away that trust, they are simply screwed.

on the other hand, lots of people thought that dejanews
would store usenet postings forever...

http://salon.com/tech/log/2000/06/20/deja/index.html

</F>