Mailing List Archive

Software Carpentry: GUI Toolkit?
Hi, folks. I'm putting together guidelines for submissions to the
Software Carpentry design competition (www.software-carpentry.com), and
would like to know what I should recommend as a Python GUI toolkit. As I
understand it, the alternatives are:

- Tkinter: the "standard" answer, but many people think it's showing its
age, and it's an installation and update headaches because of its Tcl
dependencies.

- some other GUI toolkit: but there's no consensus on which one, and
documentation is lacking.

- CGI scripts (i.e. all interfaces are web pages): has the virtue of
simplicity, but could also make some useful interfaces difficult to
build (e.g. no drag and drop), and would require users to run a server,
or at least get exec privileges, which can be an installation headache.

If I've missed a good answer, or if there's somewhere else I should look
for a solution, I'd be grateful for a pointer.

Thanks,
Greg