Mailing List Archive

Please test new dynamic load behavior
Hi all,

I reorganized Python's dynamic load/import code over the past few days.
Gudio provided some feedback, I did some more mods, and now it is checked
into CVS. The new loading behavior has been tested on Linux, IRIX, and
Solaris (and probably Windows by now).

For people with CVS access, I'd like to ask that you grab an updated copy
and shake out the new code. There have been updates to the "configure"
process, so you'll need to run configure again. Make sure that you alter
your Modules/Setup to build some shared modules, and then try it out.

Here are some of the platforms that I believe need specific testing:

- NetBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, ...
- AIX
- HP/UX
- BeOS
- NeXT
- Mac
- OS/2
- Win16

I believe it should work for most people, but we may be looking for the
wrong "init<module>" symbol on some platforms. We might even be selecting
the wrong import mechanism (or missing it altogether!) on some platforms.

If you get a chance to test this, then please drop me a note with your
platform and whether it succeeded or failed (and how it failed).

Thanx!
-g

p.s. you can tell if dynamic loading is missing by watching for
DYNLOADFILE in the configure process and seeing if it used dynload_stub.
alternatively, you can import the "imp" module and see if "load_dynamic"
is missing.

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/
Re: Please test new dynamic load behavior [ In reply to ]
Greg Stein wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I reorganized Python's dynamic load/import code over the past few days.
> Gudio provided some feedback, I did some more mods, and now it is checked
> into CVS. The new loading behavior has been tested on Linux, IRIX, and
> Solaris (and probably Windows by now).

Great work Greg!

> Here are some of the platforms that I believe need specific testing:
>
> - NetBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, ...
> - AIX
> - HP/UX
> - BeOS
> - NeXT
> - Mac
> - OS/2
> - Win16

AFAICT, the AIX version works perfectly okay.

--
Vladimir MARANGOZOV | Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr