From: Greg Rose <ggr@qualcomm.com>
To: bwarsaw@python.org
Subject: Re: python advocate in Perl/Python/Tcl bakeoff
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 20:28:37 +1000

At 17:07 30/09/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>Hope that helps. If neither of these guys can do it, and can't
>suggest someone who can, let me know and we'll post an announcement on
>all the usual Python haunts.

Well, as they say, those who volunteer end up doing things...

I've tried both of your associates, and about three or four others who were
recommended, and have struck out. I'd really appreciate your help trying to
find someone competent to do this. Bear in mind that the audience is
sysadmins, not generic programmers.

thanks in advance,
Greg.

Here's the text I've been sending out, but you should feel free to modify
non-factual stuff:

Long ago there was a shell/perl/awk bakeoff invited talk at a USENIX
conference somewhere or other. It was fun for all involved, and was very
well received. We're looking to do something similar at the LISA conference
in Seattle. You have been recommended as Python advocate.

It would be on thursday 11th november. The idea would be to have a
moderator and three advocates, and a slightly rowdy audience. We'd ask each
advocate to nominate in advance some simple sysadmin task which shows their
language to its advantage, and also to do the solutions to the other two's
tasks... then there'd be some room for (presubmitted) tasks from the
audience to be solved on the fly. Any suggestions you have regarding how to
make it work would be appreciated.

Are you intending to attend LISA? Would you be willing to do this? (We have
Tom Christiansen for perl and Brent Welch for Tcl/Tk.)

Greg Rose INTERNET: ggr@Qualcomm.com
Qualcomm Australia VOICE: +61-2-9181-4851 FAX: +61-2-9181-5470
Suite 410, Birkenhead Point, http://people.qualcomm.com/ggr/
Drummoyne NSW 2047 232B EC8F 44C6 C853 D68F E107 E6BF CD2F 1081 A37C

Re: forwarded message from Greg Rose [ In reply to ]
Alas, I'll be at SD99 East in DC that week, teaching Python CGI
programming. See http://www.python.org/Events.html