Mailing List Archive

Python-dev archives going public
> > [Please dont copy this out of this list :-]
>
> It's in the archives now... :-)

Which reminds me... A while ago, Greg made some noises about the
archives being public, and temporarily I made them private. In the
following brief flurry of messages everybody who spoke up said they
preferred the archives to be public (even though the list remains
invitation-only). But I never made the change back, waiting for Greg
to agree, but after returning from his well deserved tequilla-splashed
vacation, he never gave a peep about this, and I "conveniently
forgot".

I still like the archives to be public. I hope Mark's remark there
was a joke?

RE: Python-dev archives going public [ In reply to ]
> I still like the archives to be public. I hope Mark's remark there
> was a joke?

Well, not really a joke, but I am not naive to think this is a "private"
forum even in the absence of archives.

What I meant was closer to "please don't make public statements based
purely on this information". I never agreed to keep it private, but by the
same token didnt want to start the rumour mills and get bad press for
either Dick or us ;-)

Mark.
Re: Python-dev archives going public [ In reply to ]
Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > > [Please dont copy this out of this list :-]
> >
> > It's in the archives now... :-)
>
> Which reminds me... A while ago, Greg made some noises about the
> archives being public, and temporarily I made them private. In the
> following brief flurry of messages everybody who spoke up said they
> preferred the archives to be public (even though the list remains
> invitation-only). But I never made the change back, waiting for Greg
> to agree, but after returning from his well deserved tequilla-splashed
> vacation, he never gave a peep about this, and I "conveniently
> forgot".

I appreciate the consideration, but figured it was a done deal based on
feedback.

My only consideration in keeping them private was the basic, human fact
that people could feel left out. For example, if they read the archives,
thought it was neat, and attempted to subscribe only to be refused. It
is a bit easier to avoid engendering those bad feelings if the archives
aren't public.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/
Re: Python-dev archives going public [ In reply to ]
Greg Stein wrote:

> My only consideration in keeping them private was the basic, human fact
> that people could feel left out. For example, if they read the archives,
> thought it was neat, and attempted to subscribe only to be refused. It
> is a bit easier to avoid engendering those bad feelings if the archives
> aren't public.

I agree.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton mailto:jim@digicool.com
Technical Director (540) 371-6909 Python Powered!

permission. Violation of my privacy with advertising or SPAM will
repeats.