Mailing List Archive

Public or private python-dev archives?
In a private mail, Greg Stein suggested that the python-dev archives
should be restricted to the members of the list. I prefer to make
them public, but I won't want to impose this on others without
discussion. So I've made the archives private for the time being
while we discuss this meta-issue. (Also, the existence of the list
isn't announced by mailman on its listinfo page.)

Here's my argument for open archives. I don't think that we have
anything to hide from the public -- I think of us as a technical forum
whose discussions may affect others (e.g. Python users) and I think
it's often useful for those others to be able to see what we've said.

I want to keep membership of the list closed as a gentle way to
enforce focus and quality of discussion.

Jeremy pointed out that there's no restiction on posting, and
mentioned that together with open archives this makes the list just as
open as an open-subscription list. I don't see this equivalence --
certainly it makes a difference in practice, and the open posting is
simply a mechanism to allow members with multiple email addresses to
post from whereever they are. If we regularly get spammed or find the
list is targeted by angry Python users we might have to restrict
posting to members (and deal with the multiple address problem).

I hope the discussion about this issue will be short (otherwise it
would detract from the real goal of this list). I'll follow the
desire of the majority of current members; once we have a decision I
propose to stick with it and simply present new members with the
facts.

Re: Public or private python-dev archives? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 26 Apr 1999, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> In a private mail, Greg Stein suggested that the python-dev archives
> should be restricted to the members of the list. I prefer to make
> them public, but I won't want to impose this on others without
> discussion. So I've made the archives private for the time being
> while we discuss this meta-issue. (Also, the existence of the list
> isn't announced by mailman on its listinfo page.)

If one has a public archive with restricted membership, then one needs to
have a process for people to petition membership, including policies on
deciding admission (which could be as vague as "up to GvR's whim").

FWIW, the perl5-porters list is open but the perl6-porters list is closed.

My suggestion is that we can start with an open policy on archives, and
the lax posting policy for the multiple email address business (which
should be incorporated in mailman++ =), with the explicitely stated caveat
that if it turns out that that policy doesn't work, we reserve the right
to tighten things up. I also suggest that we don't advertise the fact that
anyone can post. [.Except of course that we've just mentioned this in
archives which I'm arguing should be public =)]

--david
Re: Public or private python-dev archives? [ In reply to ]
On 26 April 1999, Guido van Rossum said:
> In a private mail, Greg Stein suggested that the python-dev archives
> should be restricted to the members of the list. I prefer to make
> them public, but I won't want to impose this on others without
> discussion. So I've made the archives private for the time being
> while we discuss this meta-issue. (Also, the existence of the list
> isn't announced by mailman on its listinfo page.)
>
> Here's my argument for open archives. I don't think that we have
> anything to hide from the public -- I think of us as a technical forum
> whose discussions may affect others (e.g. Python users) and I think
> it's often useful for those others to be able to see what we've said.

I favour as much openness as possible that's consistent with high
signal-to-noise. Opening the archives doesn't affect SN ratio; for that
matter, neither does allowing anyone to *read* the list while keeping
posting privileges restricted. And letting the world know that the list
exists -- even though posting privileges are restricted -- shouldn't
affect quality.

So I guess my position is: definitely open the archives and publicise
the list -- the benefit of an open archive is reduced if people can't
stumble across it like they can any sig. And consider the possibility
of open subscription while keeping posting restricted. Not sure how
easy that is with Mailman, but we can still consider the idea.

The open, friendly nature of the Python community is a huge strength. I
tentatively agree that posting privileges should be restricted to keep
quality high, but the idea of a "secret cabal" discussing Python
development off in a dark corner away from the grubby masses seems very
counter to the spirit I've seen so far.

Greg
--
Greg Ward - software developer gward@cnri.reston.va.us
1895 Preston White Drive voice: +1-703-620-8990
Re: Public or private python-dev archives? [ In reply to ]

GW> And consider the possibility of open subscription while
GW> keeping posting restricted. Not sure how easy that is with
GW> Mailman, but we can still consider the idea.

It could be done in a number of ways. You could restrict postings to
members only, but as Guido has pointed out, a lot of people post from
more than one account and Mailman doesn't handle that very well yet.
Or you could moderate the list, but then someone has to approve
postings and that's more work than I think anybody wants to do.

I'm also for an open-as-possible policy, with the right to restrict
later if the s/n gets too low. I sort of view Python-dev to be the
place that serious c.l.py proposals get fleshed out and implementation
strategies discussed. The (hopefully) high level of technical detail
on the list should self-select.

-Barry
Re: Public or private python-dev archives? [ In reply to ]
[Barry]
> The (hopefully) high level of
> technical detail on the list should self-select.

I thought the humor did that.

If the public-archive were only updated weekly, it would make it's
use (or abuse) as glorified help list pretty tenuous.

No one has espoused Greg's reasoning. In the abscense of
said arguments, I'm certainly inclined to vote for "as public as can
be and still be focused".

-OTOH-then-I'll-never-know-what-goes-on-in-the-smoke-filled-room-ly
y'rs

- Gordon
RE: Public or private python-dev archives? [ In reply to ]
[.Greg Ward, arguing in favor of
a "secret cabal" discussing Python development off in a dark corner
away from the grubby masses
]

That's what I'd like too -- but somebody already let Gordon in <wink>.

voting-to-leave-it-public-until-there's-a-problem-ly y'rs - tim