Mailing List Archive

Accepting PEP 681 – Data Class Transforms
Hello,
With the latest wording changes, PEP 681 – Data Class Transforms is now
fully accepted. Feel free to mark it as such at your convenience.

Happy typing,
— Petr, on behalf of the Steering Council

Re: Accepting PEP 681 – Data Class Transforms [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Side note: it would be nice to add "typing: " prefix or mention "type
annotation" or "type check" in the title of PEPs which are about that.

Just from the PEP title, it's hard *for me* to guess that it's about
type annotations.

Examples of other PEP titles which confused me:

PEP 612 – Parameter Specification Variables
PEP 645 – Allow writing optional types as x?
PEP 646 – Variadic Generics
PEP 647 – User-Defined Type Guards
PEP 673 – Self Type
PEP 675 - Arbitrary Literal String Type
PEP 677 – Callable Type Syntax

First, I understood that "Arbitrary Literal String Type" was adding a
new built-in types for "literal strings" :-) Nope. It's just about
type annotations ;-)

From what I understood, the purpose of these PEPs outside type
annotations is limited or non existent :-)

Victor

Re: Accepting PEP 681 – Data Class Transforms [ In reply to ]
+1. Glad it's not just me

On 6/6/2022 2:36 PM, Victor Stinner wrote:
> First, I understood that "Arbitrary Literal String Type" was adding a
> new built-in types for "literal strings" :-) Nope. It's just about
> type annotations ;-)

I was also excited about the new built-in type :-)

Pablo is already separating the PEPs in new release announcements (or
has at least agreed to, not sure any releases have happened since I asked).

But with the amount of work going on in separate venues these days,
separating "CPython implementation" from "Language specification" from
"Typing specification" would be helpful. (Packaging is already separate,
but doesn't appear in release announcements anyway.)

Cheers,
Steve
Re: Accepting PEP 681 – Data Class Transforms [ In reply to ]
> or has at least agreed to, not sure any releases have happened since I
asked).
I did:

https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-3110b3/#:~:text=3.11.0b3%20is%20the%20second,support%20the%20new%20feature%20release
.

Re: Accepting PEP 681 – Data Class Transforms [ In reply to ]
On 06. 06. 22 20:05, Steve Dower wrote:
> +1. Glad it's not just me
>
> On 6/6/2022 2:36 PM, Victor Stinner wrote:
>> First, I understood that "Arbitrary Literal String Type" was adding a
>> new built-in types for "literal strings" :-) Nope. It's just about
>> type annotations ;-)
>
> I was also excited about the new built-in type :-)
>
> Pablo is already separating the PEPs in new release announcements (or
> has at least agreed to, not sure any releases have happened since I asked).
>
> But with the amount of work going on in separate venues these days,
> separating "CPython implementation" from "Language specification" from
> "Typing specification" would be helpful. (Packaging is already separate,
> but doesn't appear in release announcements anyway.)

There's an issue about adding the category metadata:
https://github.com/python/peps/issues/2572
Rather than putting it in the title itself, it might be be better to
only show the category more prominently in lists & announcements.