modules in the standard library: https://peps.python.org/pep-0687/

From recent discussions around “what should have a PEP”, it’s clear
that this should have been a PEP long ago. Better late than never, I guess!

We submit this PEP to explain the changes, seek consensus on whether
they are good, propose the remaining changes, and set best practices for
new modules.

There's a discussion thread on Discourse:
https://discuss.python.org/t/pep-687-isolating-modules-in-the-standard-library/14824

Re: PEP 687 – Isolating modules in the standard library [ In reply to ]
In the sentence starting with

Types whose methods need access to their module instance will be converted
to heap types[...]

please emphasize (bold!) "whose methods need access to their module
instance".

Also emphasize this paragraph:

"Static types that do not need module state access, and have no other
reason to be converted, should stay static."

I hadn't noticed the qualification in the first sentence and had assumed
all types were to be converted, until I came across the second at the very
end of the section (where it is easily overlooked by lazy readers :-).

On Mon, Apr 11, 2022 at 6:33 AM Petr Viktorin <encukou@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> Please provide any feedback you might have on PEP 687 – Isolating
> modules in the standard library: https://peps.python.org/pep-0687/
>
> From recent discussions around “what should have a PEP”, it’s clear
> that this should have been a PEP long ago. Better late than never, I guess!
>
> We submit this PEP to explain the changes, seek consensus on whether
> they are good, propose the remaining changes, and set best practices for
> new modules.
>
> There's a discussion thread on Discourse:
>
> https://discuss.python.org/t/pep-687-isolating-modules-in-the-standard-library/14824

> Message archived at
> https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-dev@python.org/message/B3HYQIE4Z5WBJCC3FUZJZHXLM32I4BZA/

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)
*Pronouns: he/him **(why is my pronoun here?)*
<http://feministing.com/2015/02/03/how-using-they-as-a-singular-pronoun-can-change-the-world/>
Re: PEP 687 – Isolating modules in the standard library [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 12 Apr 2022, 3:59 am Guido van Rossum, <guido@python.org> wrote:

> In the sentence starting with
>
> Types whose methods need access to their module instance will be converted
> to heap types[...]
>
> please emphasize (bold!) "whose methods need access to their module
> instance".
>
> Also emphasize this paragraph:
>
> "Static types that do not need module state access, and have no other
> reason to be converted, should stay static."
>
> I hadn't noticed the qualification in the first sentence and had assumed
> all types were to be converted, until I came across the second at the very
> end of the section (where it is easily overlooked by lazy readers :-).

Making that final paragraph the first paragraph in the section should help
on both points (reminds me of flipping an if/else in code so the one-liner
branch is the first one).

Definite +1 from me on the overall PEP.

Cheers,
Nick.

Re: PEP 687 – Isolating modules in the standard library [ In reply to ]
> On 12 Apr 2022, at 01:23, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2022, 3:59 am Guido van Rossum, <guido@python.org> wrote:
> In the sentence starting with
>
> Making that final paragraph the first paragraph in the section should help on both points (reminds me of flipping an if/else in code so the one-liner branch is the first one).

Good suggestion; this is a great improvement. (I prefer this to using bold type.)

> Definite +1 from me on the overall PEP.

Thanks :)