Mailing List Archive

[IMPORTANT] Preparations for 3.11.0 beta 1
Hi everyone,

We have approximately one month until feature freeze and for 3.11.0b1 to be
released. I wanted to take this time to share some planning
and considerations with you. Please, read carefully these points as they
are important.

* 3.11.0b1 is scheduled for Friday, 2022-05-06, which is after the PyCon US
sprints. As the sprints normally end with a considerable
amount of PRs getting merged and the buildbots having a hard time, I may
need to move the release before or after to accommodate
for this and to prevent the release from going haywire. I will share
updates with you as they become available.

* The latest alpha releases have been quite challenging. We had a
considerable number of release blockers and issues that were raised
just a couple of days before the release. Please, check the release
blockers on bpo/Github as much as you can and make sure these are resolved
before the release date. Any release blockers for 3.11 will block feature
freeze. If this happens, the main branch will be blocked and only
PRs fixing the blockers will be allowed in that time.

* Important!! Please, if you are planning to commit a big chunk of code/ a
new big refactor/ a new big feature/ a PEP implementation within this month,
please let me know (an email works) so we can be on top of things in the
release team and so I can keep an eye on regressions.

* Any regression at the time of beta freeze will potentially result in the
release team being forced to revert commits and PRs. This means that if we
need
to revert a new feature or similar it may be delayed to 3.12, so be sure to
not commit unstable code as much as is humanly possible.

Please, reach out to me if you have any questions, comments or if you want
to discuss anything.

I want to thank you all for your understanding and collaboration :)

Kind regards from rainy London,
Your friendly release team