Mailing List Archive

Request for feedback on new features for 3.11
Hi there

I hope you will indulge me while I request some feedback on a couple
of open PRs that I would like to be considered for 3.11.

https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/31150

https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/31142

The first one should be pretty easy to review as it simply makes use
of the new co_qualname attribute of code objects to enrich the
traceback output with qualified names. Provided it gets accepted,
similar changes could also be introduced in other areas, like
profiling, debugging, IDLE etc...

The second one might not be as easy to review. As pointed out in the
attached bpo, a similar issue was already considered back in 2012, but
the proposed solution there has been "opposed" because of
backwards-compatibility concerns. The change I am proposing would
expose thread names via the ABI (albeit still in the form of a Python
object) in a backwards-compatible way. However, I am not very
satisfied with the way I have implemented this for now, nor can I
think of a better solution.

Cheers,
Gabriele