running Android 12

Thank you,
Nathan Cook
Re: New PEP website is horrible to read on mobile device [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Mar 15, 2022 at 1:31 PM Nathan Cook <nathan.gs20@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please make https://peps.python.org/ more responsive to various form factors
>
> See attached screenshot from Chrome version 99.0.4844.58 on my Pixel 3aXL running Android 12

I can't reproduce this without zooming in. If you're still convinced
there's a problem with the site itself, please open an issue at
https://github.com/python/peps/issues.
Re: New PEP website is horrible to read on mobile device [ In reply to ]
Am 15.03.22 um 19:40 schrieb Zachary Ware:
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2022 at 1:31 PM Nathan Cook <nathan.gs20@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Please make https://peps.python.org/ more responsive to various form factors
>>
>> See attached screenshot from Chrome version 99.0.4844.58 on my Pixel 3aXL running Android 12
> I can't reproduce this without zooming in. If you're still convinced
> there's a problem with the site itself, please open an issue at
> https://github.com/python/peps/issues.

And just to confirm: With nearly the same phone (Pixel 3, but not XL)
and the same software versions everything looks fine for me.

 - Sebastian

Re: New PEP website is horrible to read on mobile device [ In reply to ]
On 3/15/2022 10:06 AM, Nathan Cook wrote:
> Please make https://peps.python.org/ <https://peps.python.org/> more
> responsive to various form factors
>
> See attached screenshot from Chrome version 99.0.4844.58 on my Pixel
> 3aXL running Android 12

Are you sure that the site looks any different that it did at the older
url, www.python.org/peps/ ? In any case, when I go there with Chrome on
my (old) Nexus 6P, pages are originally wrapped to the screen size. If
I zoom in, a horizontal scrollbar is added (and suppressed) and I have
to scroll horizontally with my finger. On the phone, Google search page
results act the same. So do the wikipedia pages I tested. (On my
desktop monitor, they rewrap on both Chrome and Firefox, although the
layout is different in the two browswers.)

--
Terry Jan Reedy

Re: New PEP website is horrible to read on mobile device [ In reply to ]
I get pretty much the same thing as the OP on Chrome 99.0.4844.58; Android
11; Pixel 2 XL; Build RP1A.201005.004.A1.

However, it gets more readable if I force Desktop site and zoom a bit.
These facts are pretty common for a lot of websites, and I never gave it
much thought. But yes, the mobile version could be better responsive.

On Tue, Mar 15, 2022 at 5:17 PM Terry Reedy <tjreedy@udel.edu> wrote:

> On 3/15/2022 10:06 AM, Nathan Cook wrote:
> > Please make https://peps.python.org/ <https://peps.python.org/> more
> > responsive to various form factors
> >
> > See attached screenshot from Chrome version 99.0.4844.58 on my Pixel
> > 3aXL running Android 12
>
> Are you sure that the site looks any different that it did at the older
> url, www.python.org/peps/ ? In any case, when I go there with Chrome on
> my (old) Nexus 6P, pages are originally wrapped to the screen size. If
> I zoom in, a horizontal scrollbar is added (and suppressed) and I have
> to scroll horizontally with my finger. On the phone, Google search page
> results act the same. So do the wikipedia pages I tested. (On my
> desktop monitor, they rewrap on both Chrome and Firefox, although the
> layout is different in the two browswers.)
>

> --
> Terry Jan Reedy

> Message archived at
> https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-dev@python.org/message/SVJRYYCZ2YEAJ7OH6TE3TV4TEX4TBUE4/

advocates of freedom in prisons. Intellectual property is
Re: New PEP website is horrible to read on mobile device [ In reply to ]
I tried on Pixel 6 Pro with Android 12 with both the latest stable Chrome
and Firefox and didn't see the reported issue.

One thing I would mention though is people who can reproduce it check if
you have any extensions enabled or other tools that can block network
traffic. Sometimes privacy based extensions and tools can have false
positives and block resources required to render sites correctly.

Damian (he/him)

Re: New PEP website is horrible to read on mobile device [ In reply to ]

> One thing I would mention though is people who can reproduce it check if
> you have any extensions enabled or other tools that can block network
> traffic. Sometimes privacy based extensions and tools can have false
> positives and block resources required to render sites correctly.

(I have not yet tried to reproduce this...)

Sure, maybe the people seeing this should do some debugging, but... My
counterargument is that in this day and age of invasive tracking and the
corresponding attempts by people to (rightly imo) suppress such tracking,
it's incumbent upon website developers to insure their sites operate in the
face of such tools. I'm referring to common tools, Brave, DuckDuckGo
anti-teaching VPN, pihole, Firefox, etc.

Skip
Re: New PEP website is horrible to read on mobile device [ In reply to ]
Dang auto-correct... I meant "anti-tracking," in case it wasn't obvious.

Skip

Re: New PEP website is horrible to read on mobile device [ In reply to ]
On 3/16/2022 11:23 AM, Skip Montanaro wrote:
> Dang auto-correct... I meant "anti-tracking," in case it wasn't obvious.

It wasn't obvious! I was wondering what nefarious entity had created an
anti-teaching VPN, and just what that would involve. Thanks for clarifying!

Eric

Re: New PEP website is horrible to read on mobile device [ In reply to ]
I've tried to reproduce the bug on ios and android (emulators) with no
success, usually something like this
happens when the

meta is missing, but we do have it in the content, so it is strange,
can you reproduce consistently?

On Tue, 15 Mar 2022 at 13:28, Nathan Cook <nathan.gs20@gmail.com> wrote:

> Please make https://peps.python.org/ more responsive to various form
> factors
>
> See attached screenshot from Chrome version 99.0.4844.58 on my Pixel 3aXL
> running Android 12
>
> Thank you,
> Nathan Cook
> Message archived at
> https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-dev@python.org/message/TTZBNWW67IR26VWLV4NFTHP6WBQOD5FI/

Patrick Arminio
Re: New PEP website is horrible to read on mobile device [ In reply to ]
I can reproduce it. I reported it on
https://github.com/python/peps/issues/2437

Inada Naoki <songofacandy@gmail.com>
Re: New PEP website is horrible to read on mobile device [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 17 Mar 2022, 10:29 am Inada Naoki, <songofacandy@gmail.com> wrote:

> I can reproduce it. I reported it on
> https://github.com/python/peps/issues/2437

Summarising the issues identified there for the thread: the gist is that
some elements in some PEPs (mainly tables and code blocks) could result in
the initial rendering width being wider than the initial view port size,
hence having to zoom out to see the full text.

The styling of affected elements is being adjusted so that mobile browsers
are better able to shrink them to fit on a phone screen.

Cheers,
Nick.