Hi,

When attempting to build and run doctests for cpython on FreeBSD, I got
a vague error from the default BSD make. gmake, of course, ran fine. Is
GNU make the only supported make implementation? If so, did I miss that
in the devguide, or should that be in there somewhere?

--
Lincoln Auster
They/Them
Re: Supported make implementations [ In reply to ]
On 12/03/2022 06.27, Lincoln Auster wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When attempting to build and run doctests for cpython on FreeBSD, I got
> a vague error from the default BSD make. gmake, of course, ran fine. Is
> GNU make the only supported make implementation? If so, did I miss that
> in the devguide, or should that be in there somewhere?

Hi,

the top-level Makefile works with gmake (GNU) and bmake (BSD). Buildbot
CI tests that Python builds with standard compiler and make on FreeBSD.

The Makefile in Doc/ subdirectory is different. It is based on Sphinx's
Makefile template. It looks like Sphinx uses GNU make features that are
not supported by BSD make. Could you please open a bug at
https://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx ?

Christian