Mailing List Archive

Python debugger release 0.2.0
pydbgr is a somewhat large Python debugger modelled on the gdb command set. (Yes, I know this name is really horrible).

I am pleased (or is it relieved?) to release a version of pydbr that has a couple of features I have in other debuggers I've written, namely:

1. Terminal output is now syntax highlighted (via pygments). And other section or error like output uses terminal control too. To turn that off use "set highlight display" or the --no-highlight option when invoking the debugger.

2. Smart "eval". A plain eval will evaluate the source line of code that is about to be run. If you enter eval? Then the most common expression portion of the source line is evaluated. For example if the source line is
x = 1
Then eval will just run that. You don't have to cut and paste that source line. And eval? will evaluate just the RHS or 1.

There are a number of other features that the other debuggers have that I would eventually like to add:
* terminal debugger command completion
* better formatting using terminal control of help possibly using textile-like syntax
* syntax coloring disassembly code
* debugger macros as python code

but since this eval and syntax highlighting were so important, I thought I would rather have more smaller releases than one larger one.

Releases are available on pypi or the code repository http://code.google.com/p/pydbgr/