Mailing List Archive

ANN: gcc-python-plugin 0.11
gcc-python-plugin is a plugin for GCC 4.6 onwards which embeds the
CPython interpreter within GCC, allowing you to write new compiler
warnings in Python, generate code visualizations, etc.

It ships with "gcc-with-cpychecker", which implements static analysis
passes for GCC aimed at finding bugs in CPython extensions. In
particular, it can automatically detect reference-counting errors:
http://gcc-python-plugin.readthedocs.org/en/latest/cpychecker.html

What's new in 0.11?
===================

The main change in this release is support for compiling the plugin with
a C++ compiler. Recent versions of GCC 4.7 are now built with C++ rather
than C, meaning that plugins must also be built with C++ (since all of
GCC’s internal symbols are name-mangled). This release fixes the
plugin’s Makefile so that it autodetects whether the plugin needs to be
built with a C or C++ compiler and (I hope) does the right thing
automatically. I've also made the necessary changes to the C source code
of the plugin so that it is compilable as either language.

This should enable the plugin to now be usable with recent builds of gcc
4.7.* (along with gcc 4.6).

The plugin doesn't yet support gcc 4.8 prereleases (help would be
appreciated!)

For a description of the other improvements in 0.11, detailed release
notes can be seen at:
http://gcc-python-plugin.readthedocs.org/en/latest/0.11.html

Tarball releases are available at:
https://fedorahosted.org/releases/g/c/gcc-python-plugin/

Prebuilt-documentation can be seen at:
http://gcc-python-plugin.readthedocs.org/en/latest/index.html

The project's homepage is:
https://fedorahosted.org/gcc-python-plugin/

The plugin and checker are Free Software, licensed under the GPLv3 or
later.

Enjoy!
Dave Malcolm