Mailing List Archive

ANN: Python Tools for Visual Studio 1.5
We're pleased to announce the release of Python Tools for Visual Studio 1.5 RTM - http://pytools.codeplex.com/releases/view/82132. Python Tools for Visual Studio (PTVS) is an open-source plug-in for Visual Studio which supports programming with the Python language. PTVS supports a broad range of features including CPython/IronPython, Edit/Intellisense/Debug/Profile, Cloud, HPC, IPython, etc. support.
For a quick overview of the general IDE experience, please see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CoGsSlrxKk

There are a number of exciting improvement in this release compared to 1.1, all based on your feedback & suggestions. Here's a summary:

IDE:

* VS2012 support

* Django Project, Edit, Intellisense, Template debugging support: - YT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsLti4KlgAY

* A Live Debug REPL - YT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erNx2NLu-t4&hd=1

* "Parallel Stack" View and "Parallel Watch" windows for threaded code support - YT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRs4r-cQfjE

* Project load time improvements

* PyKinect: Kinect SDK 1.5 support

* New "New Project from Existing Code!"

* Improved Intellisense (iterator, PyQt, ...)

* Python 3.3 language support

Cloud:

* Python is now a 1st class language on Azure! See: https://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/develop/python/

* Azure Python Client Libraries for Windows, MacOS and Linux (not a typo). See https://github.com/WindowsAzure/azure-sdk-for-python ;

o On PyPI: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/azure/

o On GitHub: https://github.com/WindowsAzure/azure-sdk-for-python

* New in 1.5 RTM: Azure Python Client Lib support for System Management API's. - YT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDvqNP_Ja5s

* IPython on Azure: A Python IDE in the browser, backed by a Windows or Linux VM. See: https://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/develop/python/tutorials/ipython-notebook/

* Azure: new WFastCGI for Azure/IIS

* Azure "Web Sites" Python Framework support: Django, Flask, Bottle, Web2Py, ... support <<LINK>>

There were over 100 fixes/improvements in this release compared to 1.1. Here's a link to the list of changes: http://bit.ly/PTVS15RTMBugs

We'd like to thank the following people who took the time to report the issues and feedback for this release (in reverse chronological order):

RC: Tmaslach, odwalla, jrade, michiya, timeisparallax, tachiorz, sourbox, tramsay, bahrep, lqbest127, hyh, mrpy, boomer_74, BigFreakinGobot, AngeloBast, ajp, mahpour, cecilphillip, dhabersat.
Beta: ajp, Anna0311, golubdr, hjyh, hyh, mahpour, tramsay, and zooba.
Alpha: Anna0311, golubdr, hjyh, tramsay, zooba.

Thank you!